Radeon 5770 or GTX 260?

Reaction score
Planning to order a new HP computer soon, I've narrowed my choice of Video cards to an ATI Radeon HD 5770 or Nvidia GTX 260 GPU. I think I like the 5770, but would Nvidia be better than ATI if you have an Intel processor?

Your thoughts? :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi DallasDad,
Get what you want, but I've seen several posts recommending ATI over Nvidia products. I don't know hardly anything about video cards, but I intend to learn more about them. It may have been a heat issue or just personal preference, but I do remember ATI was being advised to use. I don't know if Nibiru is still logged on or not, he knows a lot about that stuff.
Later,
Cat

Reaction score
Radeon HD 5770 is a DirectX11 card where GeForce GTX 260 is not
nVidia is better when it comes to folding at home than ATI

My point is that it depends on what you are going to do with the graphics card.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
DallasDad wrote

but would Nvidia be better than ATI if you have an Intel processor
- No I use Intel with ATI (click my spec), Personally out of the two GPUs you are looking at I believe and would suggest the ATI Radeon HD 5770 its a great card and you wont be sorry ;)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Go with the ATI 5770! Better card and is DirectX 11.

Intel CPUs and chipsets don't have issues with either brand of video card.

In the past there were issues if one had an nVidia chipset (nForce) motherboard and used an ATI Radeon video card, but I believe those were resolved.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I've never heard of this "ATI doesn't sit well with Intel" rumour before. The comp I have now is my first AMD, I've always used Intel up 'til now, and have always used ATI...and been very happy with them.

Reaction score
I'm really glad to hear positive feedback about the 5770. I've seen negative stuff online about the 5770 vs Windows 7 64 bit systems, and of course W7 64 bit is what I'll be buying, so I've been concerned about it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
DallasDad - Why don't you build your own computer? You would be able to get a much better system and build, plus you'll know how to troubleshoot it.

Believe me, it's easier than you think.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There you are, DallasDad, the votes are in - ATI wins!

Reaction score
DallasDad - Why don't you build your own computer? You would be able to get a much better system and build, plus you'll know how to troubleshoot it.

Believe me, it's easier than you think.
Nib I think it would be interesting and fun to know how to do that, but I'm afraid I'd be in over my head.
Not only that but knowing me, I'd be spending money on it all the time! :D

Nevertheless, I do like computers and I like learning more about 'em, thats why I like hanging around here with the experts! :D

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Building one from parts isn't as difficult as you might think. If you know how to handle a screwdriver, and know not to rub your socks on the carpet while you touch circuitry, then you should be fine. I'd say the only thing is deciding what components to go with, and I'm pretty sure people would make great suggestions.

Just sayin' it's not at all as daunting a task as you might think.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It wasn't long ago that I didn't even know how to change a hard drive, but with some guidance from the members here, I not only swapped the one that I had, I also added another to run Linux Mint on. It does take patience, but don't be afraid to ask for help, that's what we're here for.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If you decide to build your own DallasDad you will get a much better Computer for your £ / $ then if you purchase off the shelf plus you will gain a good understanding of your new Computer. I am sure you can rely on all the help / suggestions you will need from members here that you may need and its no way near as hard as you may imagine :)

Reaction score
The best teacher is disassembling a prebuilt computer and then assemble the parts back. Once you have done this task you are well on your way to building from scratch. If you are not willing to attempt disassembling and reassembling, I would not recommend trying to build one from scratch. You should have a basic understanding of all the parts and there function first.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's a very useful suggestion! Even if it was a broken down one, you would see all of the parts, and how they are installed, and everything's linked together. My mother in law's is about shot, she already told me that I could have it. I was thinking about repairing it, and selling it on eBay. It just needs a hard drive. But I still could, and should do it, and clean it up while I'm in it. I plan to build my next one myself, then I'll get what I want.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm running Intel cores with a Powercolor PCS+ 5770 under Win 7 x64 right now.

If you go with the 5770 I would suggest going with the second generation fan because from what I've read they run cooler than the fully enclosed fan structure although it does mean more heat goes internal but as long as you have fans circulating and blowing out it should be an overall improvement.

From what I've seen of benchmarks the 260 performs better on most games out of the box but the 5770 is supposed to overclock very well in which case it beats the 260. FYI, I haven't overclocked mine yet but I just got it. For this brand there is also a new bios I need to flash which is supposed to lower fan settings to make it quieter but I honestly don't think it is much louder than the stock card I pulled out as is.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm running the Gigabyte GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 with an Intel i7 and love it. I am not a serious gamer but I run in a dual monitor setup, with no problems.

I never heard of any compatibility issues either. If there were any, I might expect there to be some with ATI if any, since that is now owned by AMD.

Regardless your choice, make sure you have good PSU from a reputable maker.

Ask a Question