Program wants to run as admin. I need it to run as user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Besides which it shouldn't need to, considering it's on D:\ and thus all directories in there are user-created and don't need admin permission to modify (which is what this program does, as an updater for another one on the same drive). At this time it is more difficult to use admin permission for reasons I won't explain, but is there a way to force a program to run without elevation if it requests elevation? I can work a command line, so don't be afraid to use it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would suggest you try setting the modify & write permissions on D:/ for users/everyone if that is what you want; by default they do NOT have modify or write.

Reaction score
I could do that, but that would require admin access as well. Any chance I could get it done this week, since the admin is in California right now?

Otherwise I guess I could always go with that method.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have two choices, run as an admin or have an admin change the permissions.

What you are asking for would completely go against the entire point of user security; if any non-admin could just turn it off when they don't like it then there wouldn't really be any security.

Reaction score
If the program itself is told to require admin rights to run, you can change the owner of the executables itself, it doesn't matter, cause the requirement is inside the file. Not the properties of a file, or even a directory.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
John, please check the dates of the posts. This thread is 6 years old. As a general rule we usually don't post to threads that have been inactive 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question