SOLVED Popping / Crunch / Static Sound on Audio Play Initiation

Reaction score
I wasn't exactly sure where else to post this thread (it's not a crash, hardware, or find driver issue, although it's somewhat related to finding a driver). I searched long and hard for a fix, to no avail, and I've seen similar questions posted on other forums with no good fix, so I felt this deserved to get posted on the internet and hope it helps.

When I upgraded to Windows7 (32-bit) from Vista (32-bit), I had a problem with my sound. Every time audio would start (if I began playing a video, began playing a song, at the beginning of the Windows start-up music, etc) I got a short (less than one second) pop/crunch/static sound. It's sounds similar to when you have a bad wire or connection in a speaker. When you wiggle the wire you hear this electrical pop/crunch/static sound.

I forget where I found this fix (maybe PCWorld or similar online magazine), so as much as I'd like to give credit where credit is due, I'll just have to hope my post helps other users with a similar problem and maybe the good karma will work it's way back to the originator.

Solution:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers > [right-click on the device you use for sound] > Properties > Driver > Uninstall > Restart

I had tried using the same path to update the driver to no avail. It just said that my old 2007 version of whatever (I think it was SoundMAX) was the most up-to-date. By uninstalling the driver and restarting, Windows7 found a better driver and installed that on restart. Now it says "High Definition Audio Device", it's a much newer (2010-11-19) driver, and I never get that annoying sound.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, having the right driver installed can make all the difference in the world.

Ask a Question