Point of MS Security Updates

Reaction score
May sound like a silly question but...I have a full-fledged AV on my system, but, apparently if I don't install Microsoft security updates on my system every now and then via Windows Updates...my system will be vulnerable? I thought the AV was supposed to deal with all kinds of e-threats.

My impression is that the updates deal with some things that the AV doesn't. What would those be?

Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are viruses and there are exploits. An exploit takes advantage of a weakness in the code of your browser, your word processor, your flashplayer, etc to allow access to your machine. The updates are designed to close some of these exploits.

Reaction score
No AV program blocks or detects everything.P.S. Flash did get updated. Apparently Oracle patched everything, except Java.

Reaction score
That just sounded like an update of some sort for compatibility and not anything security-related.

Ask a Question