SOLVED Please help-QuickTime removed WMP Plug-in

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have Windows 7 Home Premium (x64). I recently installed the free Quicktime player and uninstalled it. Since I installed QuickTime, the Windows Media Player plug-in for IE 8, doesn’t work anymore or it seems missing. I repeatedly reset my IE 8 browser, but the problem still exists. I have a Web page with embedded music where it shows the WMP plug-in, but not anymore (only an empty box). It is not possible to uninstall IE 8 and WMP 12 and reinstall again. I have invested about 12 hours on this ordeal. I can’t find a WMP plug-in for IE 8. In short, Quicktime either destroyed the WMP plug-in or removed it. I don’t see anything inside the plug-in folder (inside the Internet Explorer folder). QuickTime will work if installed again, but I want my WMP plug-in back.

Please help if you can.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi ken33173 - Welcome to w7forums

Look in "Programs and Features"
To the left you will see "Turn Windows Features on or off"

If you remove the check in the box for IE8 and WMP then reboot, they should both be un-installed.
After you reboot go through the process again, this time placing the check back in the box to install them.

Hope this works for you. :)

Reaction score
Hi ken33173 - Welcome to w7forums

Look in "Programs and Features"
To the left you will see "Turn Windows Features on or off"

If you remove the check in the box for IE8 and WMP then reboot, they should both be un-installed.
After you reboot go through the process again, this time placing the check back in the box to install them.

Hope this works for you. :)
Thank you for welcoming me.
I failed to mention in my initial post that I did what you suggested (twice). After restarting, both components appeared checked again and the problem persists. Any other available approach?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Solved!
The third time is the charm. I think I inadvertently restarted before clicking OK (after removing the check marks).
My fingers moved quicker than my brain.
Thanks!
BTW, restore point didn't work, but the "Turn Windows Features on or off" did.

Ask a Question