Permission / Administrative Rights Issue

Reaction score
"You don't have permission to modify files in this network location" (but I do!)

I keep getting this message when I save a new file but then the file is saved anyway.
It happens when I am saving a Office 2010 or PDF document, same issue.
However, the problem occurs intermittently.
And I am the main & only user on my computer and I have administrative rights.

Please HELP!! :(:mad::confused:

Here is the message with the pertinent file location for the latest incident:

"C:\Users\Brannon\Documents\Jenny

You don't have permission to modify files in this network location.

Contact the administrator per permission to make these changes."

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Being an administrator does not automatically give you file Permissions to all files/folders on your computer. Because Windows 7 is designed to allow multiple users, each other users folder on the computer is "protected" even if you are the only current user assigned. If you are signed on as user Brannon then you should probably have the correct permissions to that folder, otherwise you probably don't. As an administrator you can, however, grant yourself the proper permissions to access other users files/folders.

The easiest way to solve this if you always want access to C:\Users\Brannon would be to install the Take Ownership script (this adds "Take Ownership" as a context menu option), then open Windows Explorer and find C:\Users\Brannon, right-click and choose "Take Ownership". The script will run granting you permissions to every file and folder under Brannon.

Ask a Question