Permanent BSOD 0x0000007B Windows 7 Ultimate

Reaction score
I will try to make the long story short :

system :
Dell xps 1645
HDD: Seagate ST9500420ASG SATA
PGP full disk encryption - including the boot sector

I installed Windows 7 Manager Utility - I accidentally disabled AHCI feature from windows. => permanent BSOD STOP 0x0000007B

I tried to set the hdd in Bios from AHCI to ATA, but I got the same BSOD
I tried to boot in safe mode - same BSOD

I think the problem may be solved by reversing the settings in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
back to original value for AHCI - 1

I tried to boot using system recovery - > system recovery does not recognize an operating system because it does not have the SATA drivers. I looked on Seagate page for the drivers, on Dell page - and everywhere I could for the drivers - no luck.
Can anyone tell me where to download the Standard SATA drivers ( sys - inf) ?

I tried to follow this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976. I can not use the utility in start-up mode because of the HDD encryption. I can not modify manually the registry in system recovery because I do not have access to the HDD due to incorrect AHCI settings.

Due to the fact that I am using full disk encryption, I can not use a recovery utility such as active@disk or Windows 7 DVD because the information is unreadable. I have extremely valuable information on the HDD - I can no afford to lose it.

I think that a link to a proper SATA driver would solve the problem.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me.

Reaction score
In the bios, set your hdd controller to AHCI.

Hello and Welcome,

I installed Windows 7 Manager Utility - I accidentally disabled AHCI feature from windows. => permanent BSOD STOP 0x0000007B

I tried to set the hdd in Bios from AHCI to ATA, but I got the same BSOD
I tried to boot in safe mode - same BSOD

That's right, you are not supposed to switch the HDD controller on the go, now you need to switch it back to what it was set during Windows 7 installation - I understand you had it AHCI. This is the causer of your BSOD's. Although feel free to attach crash dumps.

Ask a Question