PC only a month old, having to restore to factory image

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just bought this HP Desktop a month ago, and now I'm having to do a factory image restore. I came home, turned on my PC, it acted very slow starting up. I tried to get do a system restore to fix the problem, but to no avail. I went as far back as I could. So the only option I was left with was a factory image restore. It's in the process of reformatting now. I can't understand this with a month old PC, however I'm sure that it is not the first time it's happened.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I got it back up and running in less than two hours. However, I don't know why the recovery program asked me to backup and insert a disc in, because after it fired up again, all it asked me for was to fill out the same info that I filled out when it was new, it never asked me to insert backup media, and when I went to backup and restore, there was no option to install the backup. I inserted the disc and refreshed it, but it still said no backup had been created. That would have saved me 30 minutes not to even do it, not counting the wasted disc. Anyway, it runs better now than it did when I pulled it out of the box, and that other problem that I had with the download file is alright on this install. Perhaps the original install had file corruption, as that download problem was there from day one. And when I said that I was up and running in less than two hours, that counted updating and downloading and installing all of my programs as well. It would have took all night with XP or Win 2K to accomplish that feat. Mabye it was for the best that it happened, for me to learn.

Reaction score
I got it back up and running in less than two hours. However, I don't know why the recovery program asked me to backup and insert a disc in, because after it fired up again, all it asked me for was to fill out the same info that I filled out when it was new, it never asked me to insert backup media, and when I went to backup and restore, there was no option to install the backup. I inserted the disc and refreshed it, but it still said no backup had been created. That would have saved me 30 minutes not to even do it, not counting the wasted disc. Anyway, it runs better now than it did when I pulled it out of the box, and that other problem that I had with the download file is alright on this install. Perhaps the original install had file corruption, as that download problem was there from day one. And when I said that I was up and running in less than two hours, that counted updating and downloading and installing all of my programs as well. It would have took all night with XP or Win 2K to accomplish that feat. Mabye it was for the best that it happened, for me to learn.
That sounds like a good guess. Glad to hear you got it up and running smoother.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I found out later also, the original file system could be defragged to no less than 3%. Now it is at 0%. I use a tool called Defraggler, they make CCleaner and Recuva as well. They are all excellent tools to have on hand. I've come to the conclusion that the file system was corrupted from day one. It runs faster, although it didn't run bad before, but I can tell a difference. You wouldn't think a company as large as HP would be sending out computers out in that shape, but they did. It's all taken care of now, and it was a learning process for me, so some good came out of it. I always try to see the bright side of things.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Unfortunately when you buy from Dell or HP (or other similar companies), they do the operating system install, check for a good boot and probably run just a few things through the system before shipping so an issue like your could easily get missed.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I believe something to that nature happened. Everything's made in China or one of those Far East companies now, although they're still considered American companies. It's done for cheap labor, so I guess that has something to do with it, too. By the way, I got a bicycle for Christmas, still in the factory box. The front brake cable is connected wrong, that was made in China as well. I guess if it wasn't for China, we would have nothing to buy. So much for free trade agreements. You can't find any more electronics or clothes made here anymore, that's why some of the problems with them. Dell had a PC plant here in North Carolina, only five years old, and are closing it down. They're still making PC's, so it's no guess as to where they are going to be made, somewhere in the Far East.

Last edited:

Ask a Question