pc does not restart correctly

Reaction score
When I click the "restart" button from the start menu "shut down" menu the computer starts closing open programs like normal, but when it gets to the screen that says "shutting down", after maybe one or two or even three minutes (I don't know), the hard drive's blinking light on the computer just dies and the screen goes black. The main power button still has a light on so the computer isn't completely shut down, I guess, but it appears it is. To get it started, I have to press the lit power button till the computer (laptop) shuts down completely and the power button light is out, then I wait a few seconds and press the power button. It starts up as it would from a "shut down" mode. I've even tried the "take out the battery and unplug the power at the computer" advice that seems to be a "cure all". It didn't work.

What could be causing this malfunction and what can I do to correct it?

shewood1

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On desktop computers the power switch is usually lit up and it is lit even when the computer is shut down. It definitely sounds like you are shutting down instead of restarting. Are you saying that you actually pick "restart" from the shut down choices but it instead turns off?

Reaction score
trainable man:

I've edited my original thread to clarify a couple of things. I noticed I didn't relate the problem exactly as it is.

Reaction score
What error it says? How many screen it passes after pressing power button?
Full system spec would help us in assisting you better?
One question, have you tried to start your system in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good configuration etc.

Thanks
Oliver

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Restating your issue: You have a laptop and when you tell it to "Restart" it starts to shut down but doesn't complete. You then hit the power button and it will shut down and then you hit the power button again and it finally restarts as if from a complete shut down.

laptop Make/model please?

Has it always worked like this or is this something new?

Back in January I suspected you had a virus; you marked the thread solved but never replied. This also could be caused by a virus. What anti-virus do you use?

I suggest you download TSSKiller & RKill & Malwarebytes; install Malwarebytes (see note) and let it update, then reboot into safe mode and run TDSSKiller, RKill, and then a complete Malwarebytes scan.

NOTE: You only want Malwarebytes for a passive scan so be sure to uncheck the box so you do NOT activate the free trial; this may conflict with your current anti-virus and/or slow your computer down

Ask a Question