password lockout

Reaction score
my kids put a password on there computer and i cant log in. How do i remove that password without losing files by reloading windows 7 software and using system restore?

Reaction score
This softwares requires you to have another PC. Is there any other way to open a Windows 7 PC if that is the only computer you have?

In XP you just go on safe mode and disable the password right? Does Windows 7 have something like this?

Thanks
Walter

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Can you boot into safe mode?
If so, Restart your computer in safe mode (by hitting F8 repeatedly at startup) and select safe mode.
While in safe mode go to (Start) - Control panel - User accounts and change the administrators password (or disable the password altogether)
Restart into normal mode and you can go back into user accounts

Reaction score
Can you boot into safe mode?
If so, Restart your computer in safe mode (by hitting F8 repeatedly at startup) and select safe mode.
While in safe mode go to (Start) - Control panel - User accounts and change the administrators password (or disable the password altogether)
Restart into normal mode and you can go back into user accounts
No You cannot do this in Windows 7 Only XP can do safemode/remove password. In Windows 7 even if I am in safe mode Windows 7 still requires a password before you can log in..

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MEATMAN, welcome to the forum!

That Ophcrack tool looks like a good bet, provided that the created password(s) aren't too long.

Just a suggestion, you may want to consider placing a password onto your computer for your account, and turn on the "guest" for your kids. Or give them an account with limited permissions. That way, it shouldn't happen again.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Reaction score
Forgot Windows 7 Password? Recover it within 5 minutes!

I know a Windows password recovery which can easily reset Windows passwords, including Windows administrator password and user passwords, get it to manage your passwords. You can search WINDOWSPASSWORDSRECOVERY in Google and download the software from the 1st site of search result list at the first.

Ask a Question