Outlook 2000 Startup Wizard on Windows 7

Reaction score
Installing Outlook 2k was not a problem, even ran it from the server folder and not on the root. Problem I am getting is each time I open Outlook 2k I get the Startup window.

Welcome to Outlook 2000 startup wizard, which will guide you through the process of configuring Outlook 2000.

I answer Yes to allow Outlook to use same configuration and the click Next, then it opens fine but I have to do this every time I open Outlook 2000.

Also each time I open Outlook 2000 it tells me Outlook is not my default and again I click Yes to mkae Outllok my default for Mail, News, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi DHATP and welcome to the forums!

Can you try right clicking on the Outlook icon and select Properties > Compatibility.

Then, choose to run the application in XP SP3 mode and tick the box to run the program as an administrator. Once you've completed the wizard one more time, it should now work as normal :).

Reaction score
I have this same problem so I tried your suggestion, and it stopped the wizard from popping up everytime I start Outlook but now I get a windows dialog asking if I wish to run this program. Any ideas to eliminate this?

Reaction score
My story is exactly the same as that of stephenserious, including his last (unanswered) post. I am using Windows 7, installing Outlook 2000, and trying to open an old .pst file with my Outlook Express contacts. I don't see a response to Stephen's query, which is two years old.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Okna, can you post a screenshot of the window that pops up? I suspect it is the security authorization window because this program is now set to "run as an administrator."

Because of W7's higher security levels (called User Account Control) administrator privileges must be approved every time they are first invoked. The only way to change this behavior is to lower UAC settings, which would lower them for all programs and leave you less secure.

You can lower UAC so it does not warn but it is not recommended (Control Panel > User Accounts ... Change User Account Control Settings ... set it all the way to the bottom).

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am unable to use the PrtScn function in this case. When I click on the Microsoft Outlook icon, a small rectangular screen comes up.

In the top left corner is a checkered shield with the words "User Account Control."
Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?"
Program: Outlook.exe
Publisher: Unknown
File origin: Hard drive on this computer

I only have four options: Yes, No, click out, or see details. I am prevented from exercising any other options, including screen capture.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, that is UAC. It is an additional security safeguard XP never had. It is meant to give the user warning that a program is attempting to do administrator functions and give them the option to deny it.

So by setting outlook to "run as an administrator" it requests authorization as soon as the program is initiated and you have to grant authorization. The only way to stop the warning is to turn it off for everything you run, which is not recommended but if you choose to do it anyway, then see the last line in my previous post.

Reaction score
After installing Outlook 2k on a new Windows 7 computer I got the User Account Control window requiring me to click on Yes before the program would start. I went to the outlook.exe file and set it to run in compatibility mode for Vista SP2 - that allowed Outlook to start without clicking yes every time I started it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Vista had UAC as well, so I'm not sure why that would work, but for people in a similar situation it is worth giving a try. Thank you for your post John.

Ask a Question