OS will not boot up in normal or safe mode

Reaction score
At this point, I've given up trying to figure out what the problem is on my own!

This is the specific computer I'm using

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Acer_Veriton_M661-UQ6602P_Desktop/VM661-UQ6602P/ps/1508451Bad Link Deleted by Nbibiru2012

It was shipped with XP Pro, but I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, legally! I did make sure my system is compatible with the OS.

This past spring, I was having the same problem because the fan on the heat sink didn't work anymore. That was fixed. This time, I'm having pretty much the same problem, but this time, I haven't been able to determine what the error codes mean. At this point, all the information is just blurring together and my brain has lost the ability to decipher what it all means. Therefor, I'm imploring everyone here for help!

When the problem first began, my computer would just randomly shut down out of the blue. I would run start up repair, system restore or some other repair, and it would start again. I looked into debugging, but that required another computer and doing things I don't think my current knowledge would enable me to do.

At this point, windows doesn't boot at all. Neither does safe mode. None of the repair features helps. Repairing Windows with my installation disk doesn't help either. For what it's worth, I do have access to the.............jeez! I can't remember what it's called! After attempting start up repair, I can go to the window with the command lines.

What I've done recently:

I installed a better heat sink and fan.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...oler/9462609.p?id=1218108988702&skuId=9462609Bad Link Deleted by Nibiru2012

I found out after I bought it that it was made for a newer mother board so I rigged the mounting brackets so it would fit snugly against the CPU. I know enough about electronics to feel comfortable with what I did.
I didn't have any problems again for about 3 months.

After I began having problems again, I completely wiped the hard drive using the Gutman Wipe feature of DBAN. After reinstalling all software etc., it worked fine for a bit. The problem returned after a couple of weeks.

I keep my computer very clean, so I know dust and cat hair must not be causing the problem.

This all the information I've been able to gather.

BSOD Technical Error Codes

• 0x00000000a
    • 0x000000002719c418
    • 0x0000000000000002
    • 0x0000000000000001
    • 0xfffff800c07fbf3

Offline Startup Repair Problem Signatures

• unknown
  • Auto Failover
  • 0x3b

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale Id: 1033

Files
c:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srtTrail.txt

x:\wind\temp\startuprepair.etl
c:\wind/syst32\logfiles\srt\disklayout.txt/badinfo.txt\bootstat.data\bootfailure.txt

When I could still access windows, I copied the event errors into a notepad file, which I am attaching as a file.

I also checked to make sure all the drivers were updated and devices were working properly. No problems were found. But none were found when the heat fan wasn't working either.

And the last bit of information: Not always, but sometimes the monitor has black lines on it or in some other way the image is distorted. The same monitor works fine on my laptop, which I hate and am forced to suffer using and has that useless OS Vista on it! But, I digress!

If anyone can help me with this problem, it would be so much appreciated. I really miss my desktop a lot!

Just a bit of speculation on my part, I wonder if it might have something to do with the integrated graphics 'card'??? I've been told that I can disable it and use a new card instead. If I had one, I would try it.

Attachments

• 4.7 KB Views: 930
Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello Indigo! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

The links you've provided for the computer and heatsink are invalid, giving a "404" message. I have deleted them for the time being.

Try to correct them if possible.

Did you install the correct Windows 7 drivers for the motherboard's chipsets, audio and video chipsets?

To "shade tree engineer" the CPU heatsink is NOT RECOMMENDED! You may not be getting good contact or correct contact with the surface of the CPU's face. It may be askew or not contacting correctly too.

It sounds as if you may be having motherboard problems, have you checked your video card in another system to verify that it's working correctly?

Have you made sure that the RAM settings in the BIOS are set for the proper settings of the RAM you're using?

Reaction score
Cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, help

hello,

i cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, what can i do ?

problem happened after windows 7 update, then after restart windows defender asked me to restart again, and then blue screen or auto restart forever.

i would like to disable or uninstall windows defender as i can access the command prompt but i can't find how to do ?

And do you know how to uninstall windows latest update with command prompt ?

Thanks for help.

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't updated this thread.

I fixed it.

It was the video card. I haven't had any problems in 4 1/2 months since buying a card.

Ask a Question