Only Rule: No Rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm giving up on recommending or commenting on software that's supposed to work (or not) on particular computers.
There is no rhyme or reason, just too many variables for anyone to say this or that is an issue.

What's promted this you ask.

Well I installed ESET on both my XP & 7 operating systems and removed AVG and MSI.
All seemed better then before for a couple of weeks maybe less, then I began to get bootup problems in XP, desktop would load but then be unresponsive.
Sometimes the boot would work, other times not.

A geeky mate tried everything when I ran out of ideas, finally we reasoned the only thing left although it seemed to be working normally was ESET. I removed it after a battle and so far last 5 re-boots are normal again.

Eset generally rates well by users and reviews but there you go, not working for me.

I'll give it a few days and re-install to try to duplicate error.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's really odd, because ESET runs fine on both of my computers. Even during scanning, the CPU is only hitting around 50-60%.

As I remember, in a prior post you stated that you had to clean up XP, or something to that effect. Mabye that has something to do with things. With your knowledge, I assume that you fully uninstalled your prior AV's the proper way, and not through the Add & Remove option in the Control Panel.

And did you download the latest version of ESET NOD 32? Mine came as a 3 user set, but the disc was outdated, without even a mention of being compatible with Win 7 on the box, but with Vista. It was kind of beaten up, too. When I activated the software, I was told that for as long as my license was in effect, I could download the latest version (which by chance was the trial version that I had on a flash drive). So I uninstalled, reinstalled, and reentered the key, and I had the most up to date AV. I don't know if you already had the latest version or not.

Also, you installed Comodo the very same day that I did, but I don't know if you installed it on both OS's.

I've heard of users having issues with other AV's, but that's the first negative that I've heard on ESET (except the price). How's it going on 7?

Cat

Reaction score
I installed ESET from their CD. I paid extra to get a physical disk... Yes, removed MSE and AVG with it's AVG removal tool.
My current thinking is ESET as after removing it my subsequent 3 boot-ups have been fine. However if the problem re-appears then I'll know it's not that.

I tell the story only to emphasise how no answer is definitive.. PPL complained about AVG, I never ever had an issue with it but then never tried it in win7.

There are just so many variables in home PC's that a solution has as much chance of being right for one person as wrong for another.. That's the opiinion I'm forming so far. May change my mind but going with that for now.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I initially installed ESET with the disc, but it wasn't the most updated version, so I used the downloaded one the final install. However, if you bought it from ESET, it was probably up to date. Mine came from Newegg, marked way down, the last of some 3 user packs that they had on hand for $29.99, a $40 instant cut in price. Two hours later, they were sold out. They had single user packs for $39.99, these probably were more current.

However you're right, what may work perfectly for one, may cause problems for another. I cannot deny that at all.

But so far for me, ESET & Comodo has worked together perfectly for me. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Bad news Mycheal, my XP install on my notebook is screwing up, I just noticed it near bedtime last night. It freezes at times, when it does, I try to close the screens, I can't, get error messages to send to MS, and only a reboot clears everything up.

This is a clean install done about 3 days ago, and I have all drivers installed properly, and everything is fully updated. Has been defragged with a trial version of Diskeeper, there's no issue there. I've ran chkdsk /r, no problems there.

The only other install that I've made was VirtualBox to run Linux in, and was defragged again after that. It seemed fine with ESET, it was installed before Comodo (a few hours beforehand). Then last night, I installed VirtualBox. I'm wondering, could it have been that extension pack that I installed for the VM's to read machine folders, and detect USB devices?

Cat

Reaction score
Same for me, Chkdsk shows no errors but I'll sfc /scannow next.
I've removed ESET and Secunia PSI the two most recent installs.

Still not 100% sure as I had two weeks of both without issues so still might be a red herring. Once I get stable again I'll re-install ESET first and see how it goes.
It is a good scanner as virus scanners go.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I need to do that sfc /scannow and see what comes up. The last few hours, it's ran OK. I went back and made an extra run with Diskeeper.

Too, on that notebook, under load, the drive rattles. I'm surprised it's lasted three months with it doing so, but it is gradually getting louder. Funny thing, I have to defrag that drive daily, come to think of it, it gets way out of line just installing one program. Diskeeper's graph shows red streaks all over the partition, even if I do nothing other than a full scan with my AV.

Too, I had a helluva time installing a VM onto it yesterday, it took 4 attempts to get it done. This was when all of that freezing was going on. But really, I can't complain about it, as it's been formatted dozens of times, sometimes completely installing different OS's a couple of times a week on it. It's also been DBAN'd countless times. Plus the drive has ran over 500 days, according to the S.M.A.R.T. info.

They need to come up with a way to do a jumper pin to clear that data, it can be done for other purposes.

Cat

Reaction score
I ran my sfc /scannow no issues that it reported although it asked for the O/S disk which I have.
I was getting successfull boots and re-boots so experimented.
Re-installed latest version of Secunia, made settings for it not to load automatically at boot but very next boot system hung on desktop again.
Did some research and found there has been discussion with Secunia not working in XP/SP2. Supposed to be okay in SP3 which I have however I deleted Secunia again and very next boot up was normal again.

I'll give it a few more re-starts to confirm and if all good I'll try to re-install ESET again.

Reaction score
Mods. Can you please close or delete this entire thread.
Whilst my initial opinion of what works for one may not work for another still holds true, by process of elimination I've concluded my problem is something else entirely different to what I initially diagnosed and I want to start an entirely new thread on my problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question