Only front speakers work on 5.1 in Windows 7

Reaction score
Hello all, I have just installed Windows 7 on my computer and I am trying to set up my sound card and 5.1 speakers. I have a realtek onboard sound card and I have told Windows that I have a surround setup.

If I play my MP3 files or some other music I only get sound from the front speakers but not the rear ones.

Is this a fault with my config or is this supposed to happen?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Audio files aren't necessarily supposed to play in surround sound, but if you do want to listen to stereo sources on all speakers you can enable the "Speaker fill" option in the Realtek control panel.

It's also worth getting the latest Realtek drivers for Windows 7 if you haven't already, as they are different from the default ones that you'll get after installation in most cases.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues, speakers work fine, have tested them with both the win7 sound setup and the VIA software. They all happily play their test jingles...
Have also ticked the "speaker fill" option... but can only get front two speakers... uninstalled VIA software, downloaded latest version, still no go.

MB is ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO. Sound is onboard.

contacted ASUS support, their solution... reinstall the OS.....

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Okay, IF you tested the speakers with the Realtek application that makes a sound come from each of the 6 speakers on a 5.1 system, then you're good to go. The Speaker Fill option may work.

MOSTLY it depends on what type of audio player you're using also.

Windows Media Player is a bitch to configure. I use AIMP 2 media player, it's free and has tons more features and options than WMP. Try it you just may like it.

Reaction score
Hi Noewon - Welcome to w7forums

Disable jack detection with this option - "disable front panel jack detection" and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Unable to find any settings relating to jack detection, although it's definitely doing it, shows which jacks are plugged in... Followed Nibiru's advice and installed another app.... whaddya know... all speakers are go. stupid frickin windows... 2 steps forward, one back.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Noewon

That's great you got the sound to work on all speakers. Makes things more enjoyable doesn't it?

Ask a Question