Old software

Reaction score
I have some very old software (Calendar Creator) that I used on XP. Just upgraded to Win7 and that old friend will not run. I have Win7 Premium Home and have been told that I would need to upgrade this very new OS. True(?) or is there anything else I can try including buying new software that acts like my old (very old 1998) software. I miss having my daily reminders.

Reaction score
hi . . actually I got the same problem. my old software won't work in win7 environment. I think purchasing a new software is the only solution

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I have some very old software (Calendar Creator) that I used on XP. Just upgraded to Win7 and that old friend will not run. I have Win7 Premium Home and have been told that I would need to upgrade this very new OS. True(?) or is there anything else I can try including buying new software that acts like my old (very old 1998) software. I miss having my daily reminders.
It is possible that your software is 16bit. If so it will not run on a 64bit machine. Can you give us some more info about your computer?

Welcome to the forum Ragamuffin!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you still have a licensed copy of XP and your machine has enough CPU/RAM/HD space/ to support it, you could try running VirtualBox under W7 and install you application there.

Note: for Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate, & Enterprise editions Microsoft offers VirtualPC-XPmode, as a free download-able feature but for Home Premium you will need to supply your on XP license and try a product like VirtualBox instead of Microsofts VirtualPC.

Reaction score
Fairly sure my old software is 16bit. Had to buy (emphasis on had) a new 'puter. Did not know there were many versions of Win7. Store guru said that for a price all my files could be Xfered to the new and so paid for that service. I have an off-the-shelf that says on start-up Home Premium. Now I'm told that I can upgrade and they will once again, for a price, move my files. Since not all my files were not moved the first time and I lost them, I have no confidence that spending more $ will work. Have no problem buying new SW. Original CreataCard people (Corel) sold it and new stuff (Calendar Creator) not nearly as good. Guess I'm hoping for either a fix for a problem that only 1 or 2 people want or advice on some good SW. Thanks for your interest.

Reaction score
Oh yeah - don't think I'm talented enough or even brave enough to try very many things on my own. Nut that I am, I gave my old XP copy to guru guy.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am not saying you need to, but just for general information, if you use the Windows Anytime Upgrade to go from Home Premium to Professional, there is no reinstall of software. All the features of Professional and even Ultimate are in the OS, they are simply activated and settings applied - it takes about 10-15 minutes once you buy the anytime upgrade license.

But you should not even consider upgrading in order to use Virtual PC - XP mode without first checking that your computer meets the needed specifications for VirtualPC.

If, in fact, there is only one program you can no longer run, I would suggest a search for "freeware calendar program"s, check the features to see that they meet your needs, and try some of those, or as a last resort go to the store and buy one. You should let the salesperson know how you use it ... are you importing your own pictures and printing calendars? does it notify you that you have an appointment? Your old 16bit wouldn't but some of the newer versions may even be able to sync your schedule with an iphone etc (this may be more than you want). The point is, be clear on the functions you want, need, or may be of interest. It would definitely be cheaper to buy a new program than to pay the guru to upgrade your OS to get antiquated software working - anyway, many times you pay for guru and really get Joe the Plumbers helper.

It can be frustrating learning a new Operating system and new programs but there is that feeling of accomplishment when you master it ... or that sense of relief when you drop the whole dam* thing off a roof :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again, thanks. I will look for software that can notify me of upcoming appointments and events. Don't need it to sync with anything. Should anyone know of or hear of anything like that I will continue to read this forum. Every now and then I can help someone else and I'm so glad forums like this are available for help.

Thanks!

Ask a Question