SOLVED Oh NO! my Backup Won't Work (heres help for you if this is your case)

Reaction score
ok guys .. :) here's a handy little tip that the guys at Microsoft and i came up with Together . We spent three days coming up with solution so i hope it helps.

Now We alll know about the issues of Backup and the win 7 deal of refusing to back up your files right?

its a recent development in the release of the retail version of win 7 . RTC didn't have the issue but the retail version seems to have managed to do something we didn't want to happen.

OMG NO I CAN'T BACK UP MY FILES *panics*

the usual results of someone who runs into a problem backing up their files.
BUT FEAR NOT MY FELLOW WIN 7 USERS!

Thanks to the quick thinking and acting on both my part AND Microsoft's we have come up with a possible solution that JUST might work for you as it had for me.
the Solution is as follows:

1) hit right click on your taskbar.

2) select task manager (you'll need the services tab on this feature for this next step)

3) go to processes

4) select go to services

5)
select Windows Backup in services and ensure its selected for automatic. if its not , right click, select Properties and select Automatic and HIT THE START BUTTON BEFORE YOU HIT APPLY
repeat steps for VSS and SSP

(its CRITICAL that you hit the Start THEN apply otherwise it won't work, you NEED backup, vss and ssp running to make the backup work so set them on Automatic)

Then try running the Backup after rebooting to save the new settings .

With Any Luck it will do like it did for me ..:)
YAY BACKUP COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY! WOOHOO *Cheers violently*

So In Light of this new frustrating problem windows has with shutting off the backup for some odd reason when its installed i hope this helps with your dilemma of NOT being able to run Backup.
Hope this helps guys :)

Reaction score
For those of you who don't find this solution helpful try upgrading your current installation and THEN try the above steps again. THAT should help

(using the upgrade feature of the disc prevents data loss and helps repair corrupted Windows files )
Microsoft had me do an upgrade .. THEN i tried the mentioned solution and it worked for me . but you may NOT have to "upgrade" your current Installation for the mentioned method to work. best try without the upgrade first .. THEN fall back on that if the first doesn't work :)

those third party backup programs i find a problem and cause more grief than help. and not all of us can work with that. i DID try to begin with.. but preferr the native backup system.because macrium reflect I couldn't understand and acronis didn't do as good a job .for me.
IF this doesn't work for you then perhaps a nasty like a trojan , virus or malware fragmented your master boot record .
id had that problem and got my system back again with the one MBR

by completely demolishing ALL the data on my 320 gb hd and redoing EVERYTHING

So roban. all the power to you if you use macrium reflect. personally i try and stay away from such programs
because for not so informed people like myself who have trouble using those programs at least i've found a way to make the backups work and without third party bs like that.
what were to happen if your system got hit targeting macrium reflect? are you aware there's nasties out there that do stuff like that?
those hackers have gotten good at targeting such folk as like to use stuff like that.
how often do you scan roban? i use antispyware and malware scans daily in the preventive measure for my system to keep it running tops. if i dont then ill be hooped in the long run because my system will lag out an cause issues .
a lesson i learned the hard way
and it costed me a rebuild.
in fact these guys at the forum see me as often as i can be on in between system maintenance and my gaming. (yeah so what? the games i use pass the scan test)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does not work for me. It tells me there's not enough space on a backup partition drive with 176GB of free space to save a 41GB backup.

I use the free version of Macrium Reflect for my backups and it works every time.

Reaction score
help?! D:

hey i could really use some help ... i have just recently accidently deleted all my photos somehow :\
i went straight to recycle bin to restore them but only half of them were there?
im freaking out because i deleted them off my camera too.
so then i tried restoring from last backup BUT that didnt work .. so i tried just doing a backup and that wont work either bcuz apparently i have "corrupted files" -.-
so if anyone could help me with any of these problems feel free to reply
thanks

- totally freaking out D: D:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
hey i could really use some help ... i have just recently accidently deleted all my photos somehow :\
i went straight to recycle bin to restore them but only half of them were there?
im freaking out because i deleted them off my camera too.
so then i tried restoring from last backup BUT that didnt work .. so i tried just doing a backup and that wont work either bcuz apparently i have "corrupted files" -.-
so if anyone could help me with any of these problems feel free to reply
thanks

- totally freaking out D: D:
I answerd on the thread you made ;)

Reaction score
oh and btw sometimes it helps to turn off the shadow volume copy bit for backup., if the above advice i gave before seems to almost but not quite work. i found that it works nicely after doing that

Best of Luck all :)

Reaction score
ok guys .. :) here's a handy little tip that the guys at Microsoft and i came up with Together . We spent three days coming up with solution so i hope it helps.

Now We alll know about the issues of Backup and the win 7 deal of refusing to back up your files right?

its a recent development in the release of the retail version of win 7 . RTC didn't have the issue but the retail version seems to have managed to do something we didn't want to happen.

OMG NO I CAN'T BACK UP MY FILES *panics*

the usual results of someone who runs into a problem backing up their files.
BUT FEAR NOT MY FELLOW WIN 7 USERS!

Thanks to the quick thinking and acting on both my part AND Microsoft's we have come up with a possible solution that JUST might work for you as it had for me.
the Solution is as follows:

1) hit right click on your taskbar.

2) select task manager (you'll need the services tab on this feature for this next step)

3) go to processes

4) select go to services

5)
select Windows Backup in services and ensure its selected for automatic. if its not , right click, select Properties and select Automatic and HIT THE START BUTTON BEFORE YOU HIT APPLY
repeat steps for VSS and SSP

(its CRITICAL that you hit the Start THEN apply otherwise it won't work, you NEED backup, vss and ssp running to make the backup work so set them on Automatic)

Then try running the Backup after rebooting to save the new settings .

With Any Luck it will do like it did for me ..:)
YAY BACKUP COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY! WOOHOO *Cheers violently*

So In Light of this new frustrating problem windows has with shutting off the backup for some odd reason when its installed i hope this helps with your dilemma of NOT being able to run Backup.
Hope this helps guys :)

I tried to follow this as I have the backup problem, but for some reason, the options that come up on my screen bear no resemblance to your instructions so they can't be followed? I simply cannot find some of the options you mention. I'm on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit on the 'other' side of the Atlantic.

Reaction score
I tried to follow this as I have the backup problem, but for some reason, the options that come up on my screen bear no resemblance to your instructions so they can't be followed? I simply cannot find some of the options you mention. I'm on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit on the 'other' side of the Atlantic.
I had same problem at first, hopefully to make it a little clearer - in the Services tab at bottom right press "Services" button then select Windows Backup by left clicking it. When the box opened I selected automatic option (it was disabled) In the box below is the Start button however this was greyed out for me so I simply pressed OK ran backup again (no reboot) and it worked right away.

Ask a Question