Office 2003 hangs on save or save as

Reaction score
Apparently, this is not a new problem. New for me though with Win7 RC.

When you try to save a document or 'save as' and click on the pulldown box to select location the program hangs or hangs for several minutes.

For me, the issue was unavailable network drives. Having a laptop for home and work I have different drives mapped for the networks, and subsequently one of the network drives would be 'unavailable'. It appears Office programs search around for available locations and hang when a network drive is not connected properly. Disconnecting the unavailable mapped drives will solve the problem. Unfortunately, they would have to be re-mapped as available.

Instead of re-mapping drives all of the time I created a batch file using this websites guidelines http://msmvps.com/blogs/kwsupport/archive/2005/08/22/63745.aspx and placed it into the startup folder. Works like a charm, and fixed the issue, as the batch file will not create an unavailable network drive.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure this will be of use to someone having the same problem :)

Ask a Question