No SSD in W7 install wizard

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to reinstall widows 7(64) on my computer. The setup was w7 on my 120gb ssd and a side 500gb drive used for storage. I wiped the ssd to ntfs and proceeded to the install. When I arrived at the location select screen only the 500gb drive showed up, this also reminded me I should probably unplug this to avoid boot info going on that drive. But anyways I restarted the install with just the ssd hooked up and nothing showing still. The drive shows up in the bios and is set to first hdd boot device. However when in the install wizard and hitting shift F10 to bring up cmd and check diskpart, it does not show up there either. I am using sata cable to connect to motherboard, tried all of the ports with no help. Mobo has no AHCI support for me to try that setting. The most baffling part is that I did this 2 years ago with no trouble the same way, same hardware, nothing has changed... why are there issues now?
Additional:
Mobo - P5N-d, tried resetting bios.
SSD - Gskill Phoenix Pro 120gb, latest firmware

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Strange, the hard drive DID show up but the SSD didn't? This would mean this isn't a preinstall driver problem... Also if you can see the SSD in the BIOS, then it should be working fine too.

Can you boot to another OS, then from there check the SSD to make sure it still works, and also and make sure it formatted correctly? I'm grasping at straws here.

I know Windows doesn't always work out of the box with NVIDIA chipsets, but I don't see a preinstall driver on ASUS's website. And if it can detect the HDD, it shouldn't need one.

How about this... if you can't select AHCI in the BIOS, then select RAID. It will enable AHCI when you do... see if the SSD can be detected then. It will slow down the boot process by ~5 seconds, but it won't matter if you leave it configured in RAID mode otherwise.

Ask a Question