No sound in Windows 7

Reaction score
I've just installed Win 7 but I can't get any sound out of my Creative SBS35 speakers. I've tried installing Realteks latest audio drivers for Win 7 without success. Any ideas anyone?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which sound card do you have, or if it's onboard sound then the motherboard model? It's probably just a case of installing the correct driver :)

Reaction score
If you have the correct Driver installed as Ian says then it may be that the sound device has not been set as default or the sound is not being routed correctly in the options tabs.1). Look in device manager under Sound devices to check that the sound chip is recognised.2). Look in control panel under sound and check that the device is checked as the default.3). check the sound tabs to see if the selectable options are correct, ie speaker properties etc.If you have nothing showing in 2. and 3. then the driver is not installed correctly.

Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply. The motherboard is an Asus Advent 9107 Rev 1, bus clock speed 200 megahertz and the BIOS is American Megatrends. It may well be that I have onboard sound. Have I installed the wrong sound driver do you think?

Reaction score
Ian, thanks for reply. It seems I have the correct driver installed. I've checked what Andy suggested and am still flummoxed!

Reaction score
Windows 7 driver updating can be really annoying, when I arrived home my wife tells me we have an error message and the desk top has no aero and no sound. the message was that windows audio could not start. Yesterday I installed a sound card with a C Media chip Plus drivers - all was working well.

Looking at what has happened and I can see that windows update has downloaded more sound drivers, both Realtek and Uli for the onboard AC97 chip. No wonder windows audio could not start with three sound drivers installed.

After disabling the onboard sound in the bios I then could uninstall both the Realtek and Uli drivers to get the sound working again. Give me strength!

Could you post what Device Manager says you have for sound and what drivers you have installed.

Ask a Question