SOLVED No sleep option

Reaction score
No sleep option [solved]

Only hibernate is available on my laptop, sleep is blanked out. It's a new install and I haven't done much tweaking. Whassup with that? :hmmmm:

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's a new install, it isn't tired yet :p

At a command prompt type:

powercfg -a

See if it offers any more info. It's possible you need to update your video driver to one that will support sleep.

Also check your BIOS and look for ACPI, make sure it's enabled.

Reaction score
Haven't figured out how to get the results of the command prompt here, but this is what was indicated: "The VGAPNP.SYS display driver does not support standby. Contact your hardware vendor for an updated disply driver."

Did a search for that and came up blank. Also, I don't know how to get into my BIOS. In set-up, it's skipped over when arrowing for options.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To access BIOS ... When you power on from completely shut down (not from a restart) you have a couple seconds; it depends on the computer but start hitting The F10 or the Del button or F2. that should get you into BIOS.

BUT from the message, the system is suggesting it is your video driver that does not support sleep; try updating to the latest. If you tell us the make and model of your computer if a laptop, or motherboard if using built-in video or the video card if separate PLUS are you 32 or 64bit Win7 then we may be able to help find the latest driver.

Reaction score
I've used F2 for setup, but saw no indication of ACPI, but it shows up in my devices.

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X305 and I'm running the 64 bit OS.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
X305 is not detailed enough.

Toshiba product support is ...
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp
Pick product support and specify X305-Q7??

Just for example I looked at Q701 and selected the downloads tab and what immediately caught my attention was a file for ACPI from Sep 2009. There are also all kinds of technical paper about upgrading that laptop to W7 and a recommendation to use their driver tool or something like that - it may automatically update your drivers.

I suggest you spend some time on that site.

Reaction score
It is Q701. Sorry, figured the 305 designation would cover all the models. I'll take a look there, Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Q701 is the example I looked at so definitely get and install that ACPI from Sep 2009 then and see if it fixes your sleep problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Showed up when I downloaded Windows Essentials.
What showed up? Do you mean the problem started then? Downloading a program couldn't do anything and actually INSTALLING MSE wouldn't have changed the sleep capability of the computer. If you actually meant installing then you can uninstall it and see for yourself.

As the powercfg -a command suggested, there it is an issue with your video driver. You should install that ACPI patch and it still isn't resolved then try updating the video drivers too.

Outdated BIOS and drivers are the most common causes of sleep problems and BSODs.

Reaction score
The sleep option became available (wasn't ghosted out).I'm certainly not qualified to contradict you/ All I know is that the option is now there. :dontknow:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So it is OK now that you installed MSE? I don't think MSE could cure the sleep problem any more than it could cause it. Perhaps there was a Windows Update or something that appeared around the same time; I don't know but I'm glad it is working.

Ask a Question