No monitor signal

Reaction score
I have a white box tower with a ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard I turn it on and I get a black screen, no signal to the monitor,so I plugged in my old Sony tower and the monitor works. So it's not the monitor or the cable( switched them a few times by now) I believe it is the new tower. I think it might be the VGA card but know little about these things. Manual says it is a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (Intel GMA 3100).Or could it be something else? By the way I have Windows XP if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi 1941ulh&fl - Welcome to w7forums

Just to clarify
  1. You are using the onboard graphics and do not have a picture on your monitor using the onboard graphics.
  2. Do you not see anything on the screen at the time of Boot?
  3. How long have you had this problem and when did it start?
You could purchase better quality graphics for less than $50 if you think the onboard graphics has gone bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is the manufacturer's link to that board - ASUS P5KPL-CM
There is support for all opperating systems

Reaction score
Hi Clifford. I have no responce on the monitor from the tower.The screen stays black and the power light stays off. I am having problems connecting to some web pages with the new tower such as my Gmail page and after months of not checking my mail I unplugged the new tower and plugged in the old tower and checked my mail. Then I plugged my new tower back and the monitor would not work anymore. I'll check the link out. Thanks.

Reaction score
One other thought

Check the monitor cable and make sure you didn't bend a pin in the connector while switching the monitor.

Reaction score
I checked the cable and it is good. I took it to the store where I bought it since it has a warranty and I don't have the time right now. Thanks for the help. I'll post the results.

Reaction score
Today I called the shop to find out about my computer since I had some time and he said he hasn't looked at it yet which did not make me happy at all. I have an old Windows Me that I have been using and sometimes I get a blue "ERROR"screen that says;
OE: 0028: C0030D12

another time,
File name: VMM12+00004C3C
ERROR: OE: 0028: CO283C3C

and another time,
VWIN32(05)+00002113 ERROR: 0028: CO2A52EB

and then I have to restart it to keep going. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

Reaction score
I got back new computer and the store says it had a virus. Now it works. I am wondering if I could install Windows 7 on my old computer. I have a Pentium 4. 1.5Ghz, 512 memory. What do I need to install Windows 7?

Reaction score
Here is the specs you are asking for

• 1GHz processor (32 or 64-bit)
  • 1GB of main memory
  • 16GB of available disk space
  • Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-minimum-requirements-t539.html

Chances are you will not be able to use Windows Aero on this old a machine.

Which graphics adapter are you using? If the graphics are onboard, I know within reason Aero will not function properly that is if Aero functions at all.

Reaction score
I'm maxed out on memory at 512MB. Could I replace the motherboard with a modern one and more memory? And then load Windows 7?

Reaction score
This is the manufacturer's link to that board - ASUS P5KPL-CM
You would need to remove the memory in the computer to upgrade.
2 x DIMM, Max. 4 GB, DDR2 1066*/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*Overclock speed
This memory will work for you.
DDR2-800 PC6400 2x512(1GB), 2x1024(2GB), or 2x2048(4GB)

And you don't have to install two modules but two modules are needed to make use of Dual Channel Mode.

Ask a Question