No Internet Access

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion m9040n and a HP Pavilion a6234x on a home network using an Actiontec DSL Modem and a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router. I have just upgraded the m9040n from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium.

When I try to connect to the Internet it shows I’m connected to multiple networks and there is no internet connection.

When I look at the Network and Sharing Centre I have the Home Network and an unidentified network “public network”.

When I try to uninstall the Unidentified Network it says the network is in use and cannot be uninstalled.

I did turn all the settings off in the unidentified network and I had internet access until I shutdown the computer but when I turned it back on I was back where I started. (Multiple networks and no Internet access).

Can anyone tell me how to permanently remove the unidentified network?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jessie

Reaction score
Hi Jessie

I see you are still having troubles from your first post
https://www.w7forums.com/multiple-networks-block-internet-connection-t1440.html

Just to clarify, did you turn Network Discovery on?

You could try uninstalling the network adapter from Device Manager and then reboot. When windows starts back up everything should set back up to default settings. Then we can take a look at it again from there if you are still having troubles.

I know you said you couldn't remove the unidentified network. Maybe removing the adapter will clear everything and start over.

Reaction score
That unidentified network might be the Bonjour service that gets installed with Adobe or iTunes. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and stop the Bonjour service and then disable it.

Reaction score
Hi Clifford,

When I first installed Windows 7 is when I had the problem (No Internet access).

I went into the Network and Sharing Centre and first tried to disconnect the Unidentified Network, I got a message that the network was in use and couldn’t be disconnected.

When I checked the sharing options for the Unidentified Network the network discovery was turned off but some of the other options were turned on so I turned everything off and after restarting the computer the Unidentified Network had disappeared and I was able to connect to the Internet.

I did uninstall the network adapter from the Device Manager but I’m not sure if this will help as I have no problem now when I do a restart.

But when I do a shut down of the computer and then start up I I end up with multiple networks and no Internet connection.

Clifford, well I just had to see so I shut down the computer and restarted and I do have an Internet connection.

Thank you it looks as if uninstalling the network adapter solved the problem I sure hope it stays that way.

Roban, thanks for your input I did check but I don’t have the Bonjour service on my computer.

Jessie

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was sure this issue was resolved after following Clifford’s advice and uninstalling the network adapter from the Device Manager and rebooting.

However after installing the following updates on 12/09 I again ended up with multiple internet connections and no Internet connection.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 (KB976325)
Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB976884)
Update for Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 (KB976416)
Security Update for Microsoft Works 8 (KB977304)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - December 2009 (KB890830)

Again I was able to get on the Internet using the above solution but I am concerned that this will keep happening every time I install an update.

Reaction score
Roban, after much research I have discovered that I do have the Bonjour service on my computer but it’s not listed as “Bonjour” it shows as “##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##” also in the services by Apple.

I disabled the service and now I only have the Home network.

Thanks

Ask a Question