No default e-mail application

Reaction score
I fly for a VA on my computer. They require me to file a pilot report to my hub manager. Since installing W7, when I try to send the report I get the attached message.
Any ideas how I can get this to work?
Bob G.

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you type "Set Your Default Programs" in to the start menu and run that entry you can then choose your default mail application. Just click on something like Windows Live Mail and then "set this program as default".

It when then associate all mail actions with that software. :)

Reaction score
I tried that yesterday. Since I don't have any MS mail applications anymore I wasn't sure if that would work. I did try "contacts' and could not find any .cvs extentions. However I did try it just now and there is no Window Mail to associate it with. I hope that helps.
Bob.G

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which e-mail client do you use (or just webmail)?

You can download a free MS mail application from this URL, as they no longer bundle Outlook Express:

download.live.com/wlmail

Reaction score
I use the one for my ISP. In my case it happens to be Ebarq which is now Mycentury. It would be like (e-mail address removed) dot com
Bob G.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Gets, you need to type "Default Programs" and find it in the search results, the contacts section won't help you.

The entire point of this control panel is to select system defaults regardless of if they are Microsoft programs or not. ;) If you installed Ebarq onto the computer then you should see it listed to select.

Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't see any difference in that and my current email which is Centurylink. It used to be Embarq.
Bob G.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hm, well that makes it harder then. Have you already attempted to uninstall and reinstall CenturyLink?

Option two is to use an email file... right-click it, select "Open With", then select "Choose Default Program". Make sure the "Always use..." box is checked. If you do not see your email program listed, then manually browse to the program's exe file.

If that doesn't work, then you should look within the program's own settings as most programs give the user the ability to make it the system default application somewhere in their own settings area.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. My mail program is part of my ISP. Imagine if you used Comcast as your ISP. You would then use their mail application when you wanted to send or receive mail. Your email address would be something like (e-mail address removed) dot net. There is no such directory on my HDD.
Bob G.

Reaction score
Hi gets

Just because your ISP sends you an email client doesn't mean you have to use the program.

I see that you are not able to set the email association. This is ususally the case if an email client has not been installed.

Are you able to send and recieve email at all?

Reaction score
Yup, no problem. It is that once in a while I get that message. Only happened twice so far. I have a program call Pirep 2005. It contains my VA information and is where I enter the results of my flight to send to my hub manager. It goes to his email address. I get that message when I try to file the Pirep.
I have looked at the Mail LIve application for W7 but I would rather use my ISP account.
Bob G.

Ask a Question