New team records

Reaction score
The team has now entered the top 3000 Ranking teams and climbing. There is only a matter of days before we have 1 Million points. Yeah

I noticed for the first time, we have broken the 10K PPD Weekly Average. :D

Nice work guys :D

Reaction score
How the heck are you putting up such great numbers with only the slow Radeon, CC?

Is your Core 2 doing all that...or you're probably running multiple clients on machines, right?

The short-term goal I want to see the team reach is to be under 2500. :)

Reaction score
I'm using only one SMP2 client on my quad core. This also allows for a huge bonus. If I decided to fold with my GPU I would lose more points with the CPU client than I would gain with my GPU. This is mainly due to the fact that the quicker you complete a work unit the larger the bonus.

The work unit (project 6023) that I am on now gives 475 base points.
Base points are the points given for completing a work unit before Final Deadline
Completing a work unit before the Preferred Deadline gives a bonus (That is after completing 10 FahCore_A3 WU's with a Passkey).​
My bonus is 2530 points.
My total is 3005 points every 7.5 hours.

It's the SMP2 bonus that makes my points so high and would reduce tremendously, if I was to donate a core for folding with an ATI GPU client.

I find this large bonus to be discouraging to those that are not capable of running the SMP2 clients. I find the bonus points to be unfair when compared to those who don't get them. :( I can only hope that one day those that have been discouraged will one day rejoin the folding@home project.

If I wasn't using a SMP2 client, I would need one client per core. Even with the SMP2 client a "-smp" switch must be used for the client to use all cores. Without this switch the SMP2 client will work as a normal client and only fold on one core.

The "-smp" switch or any other switch can be added during setup when the "Additional Parameters" question is asked. You also have the option to add the parameters within the shortcut properties.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's one heck of a climb in just a week! :D Well done guys!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What did you decide on yadap? :D
One that was affordable CC.

I couldn't see spending a fortune on an otherwise budget build for folding. I found a used (just over a year) Core 2 Quad Q8400 for $90 from a local guy that was upgrading. He is a cruncher with WCG. He says he only OC'd it a little. Since he is local to me and knows a little about F@H he said I could return to him if it doesn't work out for me.

I installed it late last night and it's humming along working on a 2,000,000 step job. These used to take about 50 hours with the dual-core. I had to stop it today for a couple hours to work on the BSOD problem with TG. Even with that, it looks like maybe about 38 hours total.I'm watching it for temps but it's every bit as cool as the dual-core. I might have to OC it a little myself after a while.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Okay so how hot is too hot.

Stock cooler, and first folding job stayed at 48-52C the whole time.
I rebooted and I have the same size WU and it is running 10C warmer. 58-62 range.

Also it will complete in 24 hours instead of 36. I did not change anything in the BIOS.

Reaction score
Those temps are great. When it hits 85 degrees C is when you can start to wonder about it.

Reaction score
Also it will complete in 24 hours instead of 36. I did not change anything in the BIOS.
Hey yadap, did you change out the cpu in the middle of a WU?

The switch could be messing with your calculations a bit.

What is the average time per frame on both WU's? They should be comparable to each other.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hey yadap, did you change out the cpu in the middle of a WU?

The switch could be messing with your calculations a bit.

What is the average time per frame on both WU's? They should be comparable to each other.
No I waited for the work unit to finish. That was the 6040 WU That ran from Sunday night to Wednesday night.

Edit: It's possible that the next WU may have technically started but it had not completed a step.

Then I made the swap and started the 2 million step job that ran about 36 hours. About 22 minutes/step and 3500 credits. That same unit would have been 50 hours with my dual-core..

Then I rebooted after a 10 minute shutdown and started another 2 million step job that is moving much faster. and 10C hotter. About 14.5 minutes/step and 4500 credits predicted.

As TG said, it's not critical and the only thing that got me curious in the first place was the SpeedFan program showing 4 cores flaming away. :)

It's been an interesting week for me as I will have 3 WU's completed between late Sunday night and about midday Saturday with this client.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thanks draceena, I'll give them a look.

Ask a Question