SOLVED New PC, Manufacturer service, now non-genuine W7

Reaction score
I have a new ASUS G73 gaming laptop (my son's). I sent it in for service twice within 6 months. Second time ASUS put in a new motherboard. After getting it back the second time, I spent 2 weeks trying to fix the infamous lighted keyboard error/software switch/softkey reload. I then parked it for 4 months. My son is using a 3+ year old basic HP laptop.

I now am getting back to bustin my head on this POS again and W7 says my version of windows is not genuine. I've used the PC for about 70 days in the past year after paying $1400 dollars for a high end PC and now windows says it is not genuine.

If the manufacturer replaces the Motherboard/CPU, does W7 re-set? The on screen messge says I either have to buy windows or do a clean install.

Reaction score
If you press "Windows Key + Pause", do you see an activation link at the bottom under "Windows activation"?

If so, use the link to activate.

If not, let us know and we will try something different.

Reaction score
All set, another screen came up last night and W7 accepted the activation key supplied with the COA as shipped. Although the same screen stated the remaining option was to contact ASUS to resolve the issue.

I think the computer Gods were having fun with me!

Thanks for your timely response and advice.

Reaction score
Thats good, I'm glad it all worked out. :)

I will flag this thread as solved. If you have further issues, let us know and we will see what we can do to help.

Ask a Question