New Gaming Rig, I need help!

Reaction score
Hi guys

If you're part of the AVSIM forums, I also posted this there, but I'm only putting it here because I want to get a larger audience of opinions.

OK, it's December, so I must now choose parts for my computer. (This will be a entire new system, not an upgrade)

I'm doing most of my shopping on Newegg, and this is what I have so far:

To run up on that, I will have a Cooler Master HAF912 (which, IMO, is big enough; I'm worried about case sizes because I don't want to return a GFX because it didn't fit like I did with my current Dell. Also, how will I know if it will fit my pwoer supply, below? I saw the newegg review of it and it doesnt seem like a big space for a power supply.)

a Seagate Barracuda (Just FYI, it must be a 1TB so if you find a cheaper one or a Western Digital Blue or Black cheap please tell me) hard drive

Intellinet Network Solutions PCI Wireless Card (Must be 802.11 N/G/B, again, if you find a cheaper one with those 3 802.11s please tell me)

a CoolMax 750 Watt power supply (Must have 2 or more 6-pin PCI-E connectors, I don't care if they are 6+2 pins and again, if you find a cheaper one please tell me)

CORSAIR Venegeance 4GB DDR3 memory (I will buy 2, in order to make 8 GB, also, is DDR3 compatible with my motherboard? Below?)

MSI P67A-G45 LGA1155 ATX Intel Motherboard (Great for the price, no?)

Intel Core i7-2600k (I'm a little skeptical about buying the "k" version. I don't think I will ever overclock, anyway. What do you think? Also, if I buy the 2600 do I have to apply thermal paste or does it already come with it? And 1 more question, do you recommend the 2500 or 2700 also or are they bad?)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits OEM (I decided to go for the OEM instead of full version)

Here is the DVD drive I forgot to put in the picture: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106276

Thanks for your help!

PS, do you recommend any graphics card? I'm going Nvidia this time and I want to spend less than $120. Also, is the DVD drive I put above just a good 'ol DVD drive that reads and writes or does it just read? I got confused there. Also, it's an OEM so I have to get my own SATA cable? (I bvelieve the MOBO I chose comes with a bunch of SATA cables, I'm not sure.)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have fun!

First of all, it feels as if you want US to make your decisions for you. We don't do that here. If you look at your motherboard's specs, you'll find out whether or not the RAM chosen will work or not. Also, nearly all motherboard manufacturers supply two SATA cables only. SATA cables are dirt cheap. I was able to get some very good quality, HD rounded SATA cables in various lengths from eBay for anywhere from $5 to $8 each with shipping. Rounded SATA cables give a nice look to the build and improve air flow just a teeny bit better than flat cables.

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM X64 is a FULL VERSION! It's just that you'll have to do your own troubleshooting rather than relying on MS to help you with it.

The Intel Core i5 2500K is just as capable as the i7 2600K. Read the reviews at Tom's Hardware, Benchmark Reviews, Hardware Canucks and others. They'll all tell you that UNLESS you're doing really heavy heavy gaming or video/graphics processing that the i5 2500K is more than adequate and you'll save about $110 too! I would use that money saved to buy an SSD boot drive if it were me or get a better video card... then you will see very decent performance boost worth the $110 difference!

Your DVD drive link is bad... getting "error 404" message. If its a DVD burner it will state the following on the faceplate: DVD MultiRecorder or DVD-R RW. Which means the unit is one that writes and reads DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, etc.
Get either a Samsung, ASUS, LG or Lite-On burner. All four brands are top-rated and get very good reviews. I use the Samsung because (you'll think this is silly) I like the round tray button versus the rectangular one, plus my Samsung has been rock solid for almost 3 years with hardly any coasters at all. The LG and Samsung come with free shipping at Newegg too.

Regardless, all sell for less than $20.00 and are OEM (yes, you'll have to supply a SATA cable). I remember when Dual-Layer DVD burners sold for over $120 back in 2004.

The wireless card you've chosen is a decent one, it uses the Ralink chipset which are rock solid wireless chipsets. Basically, I won't use any other brand which doesn't have a Ralink chipset. First because they perform very well, drivers are updated about twice a year and downloadable from the Ralink website. I have NEVER had any problems with Ralink. That cannot be said about Atheros, Broadcom, Intel and some others. Plus Windows 7 will automatically install the Ralink drivers, maybe not the most up-to-date driver but close.

For the same money you're spending on the Intellinet card with one antenna you could get a TRENDnet TEW-623PI Wireless N Adapter card with three antennas and the Ralink chipset. Much better wireless card and excellent quality! With my Netgear N wireless router I show a consistent 300 Mbps connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156054

I hope some of this helps you out. Oh crap... I helped you out! LOL! :eek:

Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have fun!

First of all, it feels as if you want US to make your decisions for you. We don't do that here. If you look at your motherboard's specs, you'll find out whether or not the RAM chosen will work or not. Also, nearly all motherboard manufacturers supply two SATA cables only. SATA cables are dirt cheap. I was able to get some very good quality, HD rounded SATA cables in various lengths from eBay for anywhere from $5 to $8 each with shipping. Rounded SATA cables give a nice look to the build and improve air flow just a teeny bit better than flat cables.

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM X64 is a FULL VERSION! It's just that you'll have to do your own troubleshooting rather than relying on MS to help you with it.

The Intel Core i5 2500K is just as capable as the i7 2600K. Read the reviews at Tom's Hardware, Benchmark Reviews, Hardware Canucks and others. They'll all tell you that UNLESS you're doing really heavy heavy gaming or video/graphics processing that the i5 2500K is more than adequate and you'll save about $110 too! I would use that money saved to buy an SSD boot drive if it were me or get a better video card... then you will see very decent performance boost worth the $110 difference!

Your DVD drive link is bad... getting "error 404" message. If its a DVD burner it will state the following on the faceplate: DVD MultiRecorder or DVD-R RW. Which means the unit is one that writes and reads DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, etc.
Get either a Samsung, ASUS, LG or Lite-On burner. All four brands are top-rated and get very good reviews. I use the Samsung because (you'll think this is silly) I like the round tray button versus the rectangular one, plus my Samsung has been rock solid for almost 3 years with hardly any coasters at all. The LG and Samsung come with free shipping at Newegg too.

Regardless, all sell for less than $20.00 and are OEM (yes, you'll have to supply a SATA cable). I remember when Dual-Layer DVD burners sold for over $120 back in 2004.

The wireless card you've chosen is a decent one, it uses the Ralink chipset which are rock solid wireless chipsets. Basically, I won't use any other brand which doesn't have a Ralink chipset. First because they perform very well, drivers are updated about twice a year and downloadable from the Ralink website. I have NEVER had any problems with Ralink. That cannot be said about Atheros, Broadcom, Intel and some others. Plus Windows 7 will automatically install the Ralink drivers, maybe not the most up-to-date driver but close.

For the same money you're spending on the Intellinet card with one antenna you could get a TRENDnet TEW-623PI Wireless N Adapter card with three antennas and the Ralink chipset. Much better wireless card and excellent quality! With my Netgear N wireless router I show a consistent 300 Mbps connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156054

I hope some of this helps you out. Oh crap... I helped you out! LOL! :eek:

lol! I just want some opinions, that's all.

I know W7 OEM is a full version, but I was referring to the full version as in it is not locked into the Motherboard. (Say you want to upgrade, you have to buy W7 again.)

I think the i7 2600k is the one I will go with. I have looked at many reviews and videos and I think it's really good. I don't want an SSD. Too expensive for a... what, 5 second difference? My current 1 1/2 year old Dell boots up W7 in about 30 seconds...

Here's the DVD drive again: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106276

I think the wireless card you showed me, for a couple of bucks extra, is worth it. So, thanks for that. 300MBPS is sweet compared to 150.

However, here are some extra questions for you.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Nibs has you fixed up :)

I would like to mention I purchased a 2600K for a specific reason. If it wasn't for that reason I would have purchased a i5-2500. As it turns out my 2600K no longer qualifies for the reason I purchased it for. Either one you choose, I think you will be very happy with the performance.

I have been very happy with my MSI P67A-G45 motherboard. :)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
2500k imho if you don't need the extra threads. I have both 2500k and 2600k and and 2500k rocks for gaming and everyday computing. Take the $ you save from that and get a better vid card or retail version of w7.

Reaction score
UGHHHH, I think I'm going with the 2600k, Yodap. What will be the point in upgrading from a 2.93 to a 3.30?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
UGHHHH, I think I'm going with the 2600k, Yodap. What will be the point in upgrading from a 2.93 to a 3.30?
Well, more speed would be the point, about 10% more. But I don't understand where this ? is coming from. The 4 processors we're talking about are the 2500 and the 2500k and the 2600 and the 2600k. The former are both 3.3 and auto turbo to 3.7 and the latter are both 3.4 and auto turbo to 3.8. If you don't want to OC then you don't need the k series chips. If you do want to OC into the 4.0 plus area then you need the k series chips and also budget for an after-market cpu cooler, either air or water. My 2500k is OC'd to 4.5 with a $40 Zalman air cooler and I idle in the 30'sC, game in the 40's, crunch Boinc in the low 50's and Fold@Home in the upper 50's.

I have no experience with the GTX 550, but I'm sure it's good. I have the GTX 560ti and I love it! Did I say love it? I mean LOVE IT!

I believe Sir nibs answered the ? on the cd/dvd. If not please rephrase it for us.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
One more thing, and I don't want to confuse you further or muddle the situation. but consider a Z68 chipset motherboard and you can hold off on the video card for a while. That board allows you to utilize the graphics built in to the processor and you can set the system up and give yourself more time to make a decision on the vid card.

Good luck!:)

Reaction score
Thanks Yodap. The people from AVSIM have helped me and here. I have a pretty good estimate of how things iwll work.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't want an SSD. Too expensive for a... what, 5 second difference? My current 1 1/2 year old Dell boots up W7 in about 30 seconds...
Using an SSD affects more than just boot times. FWIW, my boot time is 15 seconds to desktop. However, with video rendering and processing an SSD really helps out too.

Regarding RAM; by purchasing the best quality and compatible clock speeds to match the motherboard IS essential. Going cheap on RAM is just trying to make the proverbial "silk purse from a sow's ear" scenario. I use nothing but Mushkin Enhanced RAM products, always will. They're not the cheapest by far but are one of the most reliable stable brands you will find. Corsair, G. Skill, Kingston and Samsung are very good RAM also.

Your build is somewhat of a paradox here in the fact that you want a top of the line Intel CPU but want cheap low clock rate RAM and an entry level graphics card. That's like taking a 426 HEMI engine and putting a 2 barrel carb and single exhaust on it. You're just choking the end results.

P.S.
You need to do more of your own homework regarding this build. When I did my current build 2-1/2 years ago, I spent over 3 months researching, reading reviews, etc., prior to final purchase. My system is the faste

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm on the fence between a 2600k and non k. I've never OCed before, but id like to get my Ghz up to at least 4.5. Is it hard?

Reaction score
I'm on the fence between a 2600k and non k. I've never OCed before, but id like to get my Ghz up to at least 4.5. Is it hard?
It's not hard at all.

However if you don't have an air-conditioned room the PC may get too hot under long term CPU loads at that clock. I don't have good air-conditioning in this room for my 2600K and the temps are holding me at 4.0GHz under long term loads.

Reaction score
It's not hard at all.

However if you don't have an air-conditioned room the PC may get too hot under long term CPU loads at that clock. I don't have good air-conditioning in this room for my 2600K and the temps are holding me at 4.0GHz under long term loads.

My room is the coldest of the house. LOL!!! I'll learn someday. On avsim somebody recommended me one but I'll send u the link when I get home; I'm at a party.

Reaction score
Alright guys, I made my purchase today. My new rig is going to be as follows:

Shipping from CA, USA
Logitech S120 2.3 Watts (RMS) 2.0 Speaker System - OEM
Item #: N82E16836121013
Standard Return Policy
$12.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Item #: N82E16832116716
Software Standard Return Policy
$189.99

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified ...
Item #: N82E16817371048
Standard Return Policy
$74.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
Item #: N82E16835103065
Standard Return Policy
$29.04

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
Item #: N82E16819115072
Iron Egg Replacement-Only Return Policy
$219.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Item #: N82E16820233144
Memory Standard Return Policy
$39.99

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
Standard Return Policy
$19.99

Rosewill RM-C2U 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse
Item #: N82E16826193042
Standard Return Policy
$5.99

iolo System Mechanic for System Builder - OEM
Item #: N82E16832271030
Standard Return Policy
$49.99

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148697
Standard Return Policy
$129.99

MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130582
Standard Return Policy
$139.99

LITE-ON SK-2085 Black USB Wired Slim Keyboard
Item #: N82E16823107006
Standard Return Policy
$8.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814130660
VGA Standard Return Policy
$179.99

ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate Wireless Adapter
Item #: N82E16833320074
Standard Return Policy
$28.99

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119233
Standard Return Policy
$49.99

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
2500k!!! Yay :congrats::thrasher::beer:

Nice system. Let us know how your making out.

Reaction score
Congrats on your new build, thats gonna be a nice rig when you are done. I think you will be very pleased with it. :)

Reaction score
Hopefully, yeah. I think the 2500k will be a great CPU in comparison to the 2600k. Hopefully I'll be able to install the Hyper 212!!! :eek:

Ask a Question