Networking

Reaction score
I have 2 computers running window 7 home premium 64 bit and one running Windows XP, they are all networked through a wireless dlink router. All machines use ZoneAlarm Internet Suite which is configured for the network and all IP addresses.
I cannot always access the windows 7 machines, from one to the other. "Windows cannot access (computer name)" or "do not have permission". All permission and sharing settings are configured. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I don't understand what the problem is? Any help is well appreciated.

Reaction score
Sounds like a firewall issue. Try disabling firewall for awhile as a test to confirm issue. I've heard that Zone Alarm doesn't play nice with 7, all though I have no personal knowledge of that. If that is the case get rid of ZA and use MSE.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
ZoneAlarm used to be a very good product, but now it's become quite a nuisance. I have several friends who have had issues with it in Windows 7.

Nero Burning ROM is the same way, used to be a great program, now it's nothing but bloatware.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I remember recently that someone on this very forum had to reinstall over getting rid of Nero. It used to be a paid program, if my memory serves me correctly. But now, the suite is available from File Hippo, in the same category as ImgBurn. However, I have ImgBurn, and can say that it's a fine piece of software.

BTW, Zone Alarm is freely available on the same site as Nero. I love security, but the default Windows Firewall has served me well over the years, and I just don't see the need to configure a firewall, when the one that I have works just fine. I'll never understand what kicked off the sales of them to begin with. Your AV & malware protection should take care of any threat that comes your way.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
...I love security, but the default Windows Firewall has served me well over the years, and I just don't see the need to configure a firewall, when the one that I have works just fine......
I'll agree with you there catilley, Windows firewall has never let me down, although it's a "one way" system. ESET AV, Malwarebytes' and WinPatrol as the start-up folders, services etc, "super-grass" have always served me well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question