Network Sharing 'HP Laserjet 1220' Problems

Reaction score
I have an old HP Server that I use at home it has XP 32bit loaded on it & shares across the network an "HP Laserjet 1220" printer, i have just installed Windows 7 on my gaming PC & laptop both 64bit versions, both of these machines are unable to connect to the shared printer, they can see it on the network but have trouble loading the drivers. This printer does not need drivers for XP, Vista, Win7, if I connect the printer directly to my gaming pc running 64bit 7, drivers are installed automatically, same with the laptop, and print with no problems. When i try & connect to the printer over the network to the HP 32bit xp server the 64bit 7 machines come up with a box saying 'loading driver....then 'connecting to windows update'.....then 'error no driver found', even after having the printer drivers installed & working when machine was connected directly to printer by paraellel & USB.
I then installed 32bit 7 on a spare PC i had around, shared printer on this PC via parallel & this worked fine, the 64bit machines connected & worked great. I then plugged the printer back into the 32bit xp server & tried to connect printer on 64bit 7 machines again, the 64bit laptop connected loaded drivers & straight away & worked ok...lol, jumped onto my gaming PC to repeat the process but failed & come with with the same error from the begining...'Loading drivers.....connecting to windows update this may take some time.....error driver not found.
It then asks me to enter correct drivers, but drivers for Vista 32or64bit & 7 32or64bit are not at the HP website for this printer, as the drivers are part of the XP, Vista & 7 CD/DVD. I don't know why the laptop is working & my PC is not, both have a clean build of Windows 7 64bit, looks as if the xp 32bit server is handing out 32bit drivers over the network to the 2 windows 7 64bit machines, even though both 7 machines have the correct drivers already installed. Also tried to connect via 'start..run...then \\PCNAME\PRINTERNAME, just comes up with error connecting to printer.

Sorry for the speech, any help would be great....cheers

Steve

Reaction score
Nevermind just had a breakthrough

Used the work around & setup printer as a local printer then just adding the network address.& all good

Reaction score
I have the same problem running windows 7 and trying to share the printer from a windows XP. I too can download and print locally but have an identical problem when I share the printer and it ask me to install the drivers.

I tried the solution (local install w/ address) and got as far as the printer showing up. Although after adding it, it errors out while printing.

Reaction score
I have had a few problems after getting it all to work......the best one was a document i had typed up in XP using Office 2007, the doc had 2 pages of text, when in windows 7 i made some changes to the first page in Office 2007 when printed out to server, all the letters were printed over each other for each line on the first page, so page just has big black dots on each line, but the second page was perfect....lol

Reaction score
well this was not just a speech but an whole essay also :p
anyways i also download it and the next day uninstall it because its not compatible with my PC processor,so i cannot help you sorry but you can contact to the help menu it has almost all detail about it.

Ask a Question