Network 2?!!

Reaction score
Hi my network is named Network 2 and I don't understand why since I have just one computer and also it says that I'm on a (homegroup) JOINED network.What does that mean?Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
No, its not its cable internet with a modem.I just started using this ISP they don't use phone lines or routers just the TV cable.

Reaction score
Go to - Control Panel >> Network and Internet >> Network and Sharing Center

Click "Change adapter settings" then let us know if their is more than one connection listed.
Click "See full map" then upload a screen shot of the full map for "Network 2".

it says that I'm on a (homegroup) JOINED network.What does that mean?
I believe that means you have created (or joined in the past) a homegroup which is new and available only through Windows 7 and future Operating Systems. Anyone with Windows 7 on your network and knows the Homegroup passkey can join your Homegroup. It's a bit different than the usual networking we have used for so many years.

Reaction score
When I click "change advanced adapter setting" I get only one Icon named local area connection network 2 and when I click see full map I get this:
"Windows cannot create the network map.Responses from the device on the network are delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network."
Last two days I set my network "Public network" since I don't actually have passkey set I thought this way is safer.
What do you recommend?
And how do you post screen shot here?

Reaction score
Last two days I set my network "Public network" since I don't actually have passkey set I thought this way is safer.
What do you recommend?
And how do you post screen shot here?
The Public network is an UN-secure connection and is not safe. I recommend using the passkey (may require creating a passkey) that has been configured for your router. Setting a passkey within the router will block anyone trying to access your network that does not have the passkey or direct connection to the router.

Reaction score
I was told (by my ISP) that My modem has its own passkey and that I don't need one(!) it was strange but anyway...so how can I find out what is my modems passkey?...and how can I make my connection safer?

Reaction score
I was told (by my ISP) that My modem has its own passkey and that I don't need one(!) it was strange but anyway.
Thats a mis-leading statement, if your router already has a passkey then use the passkey or change it (I assume all passkeys can be changed).

..so how can I find out what is my modems passkey?.
Thats hard to say sense all modems are different and the setting for the passkey will be found in different locations. I know some ISP's will place the passkey they assigned (probably a random generated key) on a label and stick it to the modem. If the passkey is not on a label, there should have been paperwork with the modem that has it somewhere.

..and how can I make my connection safer?
By using any encrypted connection and never using the "Public network". Public networks are used in public for anyone to use that wouldn't know a passkey. It is advised to use extreme caution when using one of these networks in public. When you create a Public network at home, you are in a sense inviting anyone to use your Internet connection and possibly access to your computer.

Ask a Question