Netgear Wg111

Reaction score
Hi has anyone got a netgear wg111v1 to work or knows? I am pretty desperate to find it or find an alternative one that works!

Reaction score
Yeah I also get this problem. Posted on another forum:

This may be hard to explain, so please read carefully.
I have installed Windows 7 build 7000 on my home PC, without a problem.
I use a Netgear wireless USB adapter (WG111v2) to connect to a Netgear 54 Mbps wireless router (WGR614v7).
On Windows Vista, the process of getting online is very easy. But on 7, it don't identify the network at all.
The adapter is installed and working correctly and I have done everything that I would have done on Vista, to Windows 7, but still it cant find the network.
Please could someone be able to help me. I want to Beta test this new OS but can't really help Microsoft, if I can't send them the reports.

Reaction score
I have looked on other sites and have been given a few ideas on how to correct this problem, like compatablty mode (mind the spelling). So I am going to try that now. Good job I got a multi boot OS on this computer, hate the long boring installs of Windows, saying that Windows 7 is very fast at installing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right, I tried using compatabilty mode, to install the drivers for my adapter but its still not finding the network router. I now am going to try and connect it with wires instead. A friend of mine is having the same problem, so I know at least that its not something that I'm doing completly wrong.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on this :)

I'll let you know if I see any other mentions of the problem on my travels though the web.

Reaction score
Ok, now I have tried using a wire from my ethernet card to the router, but still the same result.
I even stopped using the router all together and connected just the Virgin/NTL 250 modem to the computer, and still the same.
I do remember having some software from virgin about a year ago but that was for the cable modem. I will have a dig around in the house and see if I still got it, and give it a go.

Reaction score
I have now updated my firmware for the router, in hope that this would sort out the problem, but sadly it didnt. I can't find the original driver software for virgin, so now I am at a loss. My friend has got an old NTL modem (about 4 years old) and somehow he has managed to get the internet up and running. If anyone can find the drivers for the modem or can help in any way, then please do. I'm pulling my hair out here!

Reaction score
Oh and I even tried to use Pure Network Magic. It was great on problems I once had for Windows XP, but it didn't help me this time on Windows 7.

Reaction score
After trashing my house to find the setup cd for Virgin, I couldn't locate it. So I went on Virgin site and wrote all my details down for ordering a new cd. But when I click on order cd link, I get page not displayed. I'm begining to lose the will to live!!

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When I look on the product page it looks like they are only supplying XP drivers, which you can then use in Vista (but not written for Vista in the first place):

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v1.asp

I don't think you can use XP drivers in Vista (usually), so this is why you might be getting problems. As you're in the UK, a Vista (and hopefully W7) compatible USB network adapter is around £10.

If you want to beta test the OS and have network access, you could use the VirtualBox method : https://www.w7forums.com/run-windows-7-virtualbox-t107.html

Reaction score
Sorry for ranting and raving on here about this, but this is really doing my head in now.
I have now tried using the Virgin setup cd, from another friend, to see if i can run the ntl 250 modem directly from the ethernet card and not even use the network router. But no, that dont sort out the problem.
Now I am thinking that I should do an upgrade instead of a clean install and see if that works.
The thing is that if I do it on my existing Vista, if all goes tits-up then its going to be hassle getting back on here to tell you all about it. LOL
So.... I'm going to resize another one of my partitions and install Vista again on the remaining space, get the internet running, then upgrade to Windows 7.
I might need to put Service Pack 1 on Vista before upgrading, to be honest, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing to do.
I also wonder if I can upgrade Windows XP with Windows 7.

Reaction score
When I look on the product page it looks like they are only supplying XP drivers, which you can then use in Vista (but not written for Vista in the first place):

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v1.asp

I don't think you can use XP drivers in Vista (usually), so this is why you might be getting problems. As you're in the UK, a Vista (and hopefully W7) compatible USB network adapter is around £10.

If you want to beta test the OS and have network access, you could use the VirtualBox method : https://www.w7forums.com/run-windows-7-virtualbox-t107.html
On Neatgear website, they have both XP and Vista drivers for the adapter, and I have tried them both on Windows 7, but with same results.
I think I will try using the VirtualBox method, if all goes not so good with the upgrade. I will keep everyone informed. Fingers crossed :)

Reaction score
After days of trying to figure this out, it has finally come to the end, and it was just one simple thing! Not a driver problem, cables or anything like that. I didnt even reinstall windows, all I did was this:
Open Internet Explorer, click on Tools and Internet Options, then on the connections tab and LAN settings. Then ticked the Automatically detect settings box.
Rebooted computer and Bob's ya uncle!
I am using cables and not using wireless at the moment, I will test that out in a while. I just couldn't wait to tell you all lol.

Reaction score
Nope, wireless adapter dont work to find the network, but oh well never mind. I'm just happy that I am on the internet. Its very fast and what I have seen so far, very impressive!

Reaction score
Signed driver enforcement

I was able to install the wg111v2 drivers on windows 7 beta by doing hte following:

1. Download the wg111v2 installation from netgear's website or whatever third party site that hosts drivers
2. Install the utility
3. Go to device manager, and update the driver for the wg111v2
4. Choose the C:\program files (x86)\Netgear\Drivers folder for the driver location ( c:\program files\Netgear\Drivers if not on 64 bit )
5. It will say "booh you suck wrong operating system or not properly signed"
6. Restart
7. Press F8 on startup to get the advanced boot menu
8. Choose "Disable signed driver enforcement"
9. when you boot up, the driver should work.
10. Repeat steps 7-8 every time you restart :-/

There ya have it. And if anyone can figure out a way around the F8 every time you restart thing, i'd LOVE to hear it :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info danielpops, I'm sure that will be of help to people here :)

Reaction score
HELP.
Im having the same problems. I have the WG111 V3, ive used new and old drivers, tried 'compatibility modes', 'compatibility trouble shooting' and its still not recognising the adapter. When i first plug it in, it pretty much instantly says, could not install hardware, id be suprised if its even searched as its literally seconds after. Anyone got any fixes yet ? - Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Ive sorted it, I used the Vista driver 1.20, it installed, but failed to launch to allow me to scan for a wireless network. So i loaded device manager, selected it in the list and chose "update driver" then "automatically" and it said driver update complete, and then worked. its now working perfectly :eek:)

Ask a Question