Need to replace processor and MOBO

Reaction score
My processor died recently and i've decided to upgrade the replacement (which now means that i'll be upgrading the motherboard, graphics cards, etc.)

I'll be keeping the Hard Drive on which Windows 7 was installed to the new Machine.

Will this work? Any problems?

Reaction score
Hi arttwood

Windows will know the sytem changed and will ask for Re-Activation.

This would only be a real big problem if you had an OEM license for Windows 7. Once the OEM license has been activated, it is locked to that motherboard model.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My processor died recently and i've decided to upgrade the replacement (which now means that i'll be upgrading the motherboard, graphics cards, etc.)

I'll be keeping the Hard Drive on which Windows 7 was installed to the new Machine.

Will this work? Any problems?
You shouldn't have any problems, do a clean install as the other poster stated. If you do have an OEM license, you'll have to reactivate it. But, MS support shouldn't give you too much grief about it. Just tell them the CPU and mobo died and you had to replace them. They're there to help not hinder.

If you have a full retail version, then no problem at all. Just reinstall and be sure you have the Windows 7 drivers for the new hardware.

Ask a Question