Need Help with WpWin Error

Reaction score
Hi,

I just installed WordPerfect 8 (older version) on my new Windows 7 Home Premium PC. It installed fine, I was able to set my defaults, type new documents and everything seemed fine until I tried to save a new document. When I click "Save", a window opens saying "WPWin Error, Cannot Save File". My old pc was an XP and of all of my software programs, WP8 is the only one I've been able to install with no problems. I've had to purchase other new software just for Win 7. I really would like to avoid having to buy new WordPerfect software as well. I did download WinHlp32.exe so I could use the help files. Otherwise, can someone tell me what is causing this WPWin error and how to save my new documents? Thank you.

Reaction score
Word Perfect 8 was for Windows 95. If Compatibility Mode for Windows 95 doesn't work, then it's time to upgrade to WordPerfect 14 or 15. Try right clicking on Word Perfect in the Start Menu, select Properties, click on the box that says "Run this program in Compatibility Mode for", scroll down to Windows 95 and select it. Then click Apply and then OK. If that doesn't work you'll have to upgrade and you should anyway. Word Perfect 8 came out in 1997. It's came out almost 14 years ago.

Reaction score
After further searching on the internet, I finally found a solution in Microsoft "Answers" from someone else who had the same issue, before I saw your response. Below is the solution on Microsoft Answers that I found for anyone else experiencing the same issue. The solution was for WordPerfect 10, but it worked for my WordPerfect 8.

As for the age of my WordPerfect 8, it works great, always has, and there is no reason for me to spend over $100 just to buy a newer version. Do you buy a new car every year, or a new house every year, new appliances every year or new anything every year just because what you already have is older? I doubt it.

From JimTheTech: ... I clicked on Start, then "All Programs", then "WordPerfect Office 2002", then on "WordPerfect 10" I right-clicked the program icon, clicked "Properties", and then click the "Compatibility" tab. Then set to "Run this program in compatibility mode " "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)".

Ask a Question