Musings. How much do we use a computer 'cos we own a computer.

Reaction score
I got to thinking about this today when I was tidying up my browser bookmarks. Of all the bookmarks I have about 50% would be for outside interests and hobbies which means that the other 50% of the forums and bookmarks I have/subscribe to are related to using the computers or chatting about them or following software sites, info tech etc etc..

In terms of productive 'work' I use the PC for I'd only do emails for work, communicate with my union and Workcover and write the odd email.

70% of ebay things I buy would relate to technology.

So really my Computer hobby is more like a politician then a useful tool as clearly the greater amount of the time I spend on it is dedicated to just itself not anything actually useful or productive.

Mychael

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I was having the same thoughts. I think you are implying internet useage, as being the valuable feature?
I had a major outside breakdown of my internet connection two days ago. Frankly, I was lost and wandering. I got to thinking why on earth I need 49 separate programs installed on the computer.

Reaction score
I was having the same thoughts. I think you are implying internet useage, as being the valuable feature?
I had a major outside breakdown of my internet connection two days ago. Frankly, I was lost and wandering. I got to thinking why on earth I need 49 separate programs installed on the computer.
Well that as well as my time, hunting down software deals, best prices for hardware, always thinking about upgrades, backups etc.. mostly work I do on the computer just because I have a computer. I'm beginning to see some point in an ipad to replace all that.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use my system for video editing, backup and DVD burning. Printing DVD labels and printable DVD discs.

Also use it for audio/music editing and converting, word processing, etc.

Internet, email, networking, etc.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I use my computer not only to do simple everyday tasks, like pay bills, check email, check the weather, make purchases, and so on. But I do spend extra money on computing, partly to learn, some out of impulse (I'm a seriously impulsive shopper), because it's there. However, I don't spend cash on unneeded items, but I do spend a lot on computing, and spend a lot of time on it, too. Honestly, taking my computers away from me would be equal to taking an addict's drugs away, I'd be driven up the wall. Seriously.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I would say the bulk of my computer is dedicated to gaming, online and offline types (just in case the internet goes awol) and from there I'd say CD/DVD mixing and burning and then the programs for the computer itself (ccleaner, defrag and such), mixed in is the forum surfing and tech info interest.

Reaction score
I really could go for something much simpler and get by with what I do but really I think it's 'cos for a lot of my early working life I was in big computer installations. Just love the big stuff, flashing lights, lots of buttons etc... Think this has carried over to my PC ownership. I'm sure I could get by with a lot less, I know the girlfriend would prefer it if I did. All the cables and stuff do give me the s---s I gotta admit.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
My wife and I use our computers for business and pleasure, without other peoples computers we would have no income.

Reaction score
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Over the past few years I slowly increased the computer-internet use.I planned this upon the need to stop "working".[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]From E Mail and web surfing. Using WebTv. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]To video editing, audio editing, graphic works and game playing.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Building "book, video and music libraries".[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Reading many different news groups, becoming part of the on line political dialouge. Increased my purchases from on line stores.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Installing computer hardware, (not building a unit).[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Viewing world wide web cams. [/FONT]
Reading and part of several medical newsgroups.

Ask a Question