Music streaming services

Reaction score
So, what do you guys think of services like Spotify or Pandora? Do you use one?

I can't live without Spotify. :D It's irreplaceable.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't know about Spotify, but Pandora is Flash-based and the quality suffers because of that, plus you have to have the webpage open to listen.

I use ShoutCast.com and my AIMP2 audio player to stream music in either MP3 or AAC+ formats. Much better quality and the choices number in the hundreds.

A very good site with a lot of choices is: 181.FM website, if a person can't find the music they like there then...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: From Wikipedia

Spotify is a proprietary peer-to-peer music streaming service with desktop applications available for Linux, Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
Developed by Swedish startup "Spotify AB", the software allows unlimited streaming of selected music from a multitude of major and independent record labels including Sony, EMI, Warner Music Group and Universal with virtually no buffering delay.[2][3] Music can also be imported from either iTunes[4] or directly from local files.[5]
An ad-supported version of the software is free to download in Sweden, Spain, Norway, Finland, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.[6][7]. For a monthly fee, users can upgrade to a "Premium" account, which offers higher bitrate streams, offline access to music and use of Spotify on mobile devices running iOS, Android or Symbian.[8] Currently only consumers with a Paypal account or a credit card issued in one of the launch countries can activate a Premium account. A "Day Pass" was available, which gave unlimited advertising-free listening for 24 hours; this option was removed when Spotify "Unlimited" was introduced in May 2010.
Music can be browsed by artist, album, record label or playlist as well as by direct searches, and a link allows the listener to purchase selected material via partner retailers.[9] Launched in October 2008, Spotify has approximately seven million users as of May 19th, 2010; about 250,000 of these are paying members.[10]

Spotify has been developed since 2006 by a team at Spotify AB, Stockholm, Sweden. The company Spotify was founded by Daniel Ek, former CTO of Stardoll, and Martin Lorentzon, co-founder of TradeDoubler, in Stockholm. The headquarters are located in London and research and development is located in Stockholm.
Spotify was launched for public access on 7 October 2008. While free accounts still remained available by invitation only in order to manage the growth rate of the service, the launch meant that paid subscriptions were opened to everyone. At the same time, Spotify also announced licensing deals with many major music labels.[11] Spotify reported a USD 4.4 million loss for the year of 2008.[12].
The first step towards opening free accounts for public without invitation was taken on 10 February 2009 when Spotify opened for free registration in the UK.[13]
Due to a surge in registrations following the release of the Spotify mobile service, Spotify closed its open registrations in the UK on 11 September 2009. The free service is now invitation-only,[14] although it was possible to bypass the invitation system for several months by opening the registration page directly. This loophole has now been closed and the registration page requires an invitation code.[15] Subscriptions may still be purchased without an invitation.
On 4 March 2009 Spotify announced that there had been a security flaw in the Spotify service, by which private account information (including email addresses and salted password hashes) of members registered prior to 19 December 2008 were potentially exposed.[16][17][18][19]
On 28 January 2010 Symantec Anti-virus marked Spotify as a Trojan horse, disabling the software across millions of computers.[20][21]

Spotify is currently only available in Sweden, Spain, Norway, Finland (including the Åland Islands[29]), France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. In Austria, Belgium, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Switzerland the Premium service was offered until July 2009, but never the free version. Currently only customers with credit cards issued in one of the above-mentioned launch countries can buy a Premium account.
Spotify Founder, Daniel Ek, expressed a desire to launch Spotify in the US before the end of 2009, although Spotify has yet to be launched there.[30]
Y'all on the other side of the pond can use Spotify if ya want to, I'll stick with what I've got.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
The only virus and trojan's I ever got were from p to p sites. No thank-you.

I love listening to concerts from WV. (even some of the one's I went to) ;) but I don't want to give away my age.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/concerts/

Reaction score
I put Pandora to the thread even I didn't know anything about it. :D I just knew that it's a music streaming service in the US.

But Spotify isn't at all like Pandora. Hard to explain so go to: http://www.spotify.com/about and learn. ;)

Reaction score
I use Pandora on my iPhone :) and its pretty good. Never tried it for windows tho

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Windows Media Player > Media Guide link > Internet Radio link

Find my fave genre and station and listen.

Ask a Question