SOLVED MSXML4.0 SP2 will not install

Reaction score
I run Windows 7 x64 and I was trying to re install Nero v9 when I came to a part in the installation process that calls for 3 prerequisite files or patches to be installed and they are pretty well auto-install when you click the install button at the bottom. The one I am having the issue with is MSXML4.0 SP2. This starts and then it just stops (fails). That's it for the rest of the installation. No further as soon as it fails and I don't have an idea why this won't install. I have 2 MSXML's in Programs and Features that appear to be newer versions. Would that be what is stopping this?

I also noticed these in System 32

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes it's possible they won't install over a newer version.

But you might try installing it with Microsoft KB973688.

Another thought i had was, how are you running the install? Maybe it needs administrator privileges ...
Try locating the Nero install program in Windows Explorer and right-click, then choose the option "run as an administrator" (this is not the same as being logged on as an administrator, so it may be worth trying). Often times if an installer calls a sub-program and the sub-program requires admin privileges then the sub-program call fails with a bad return code which the install program detects and aborts as well. Running the entire install in a "Run as Admin" umbrella, fixes that situation.

BTW, this is NERO 9 and not NERO Express 9, correct? Because Nero Express 9 is listed in the W7 64-bit compatibility center as "upgrade recommended" meaning it may not work correctly and an upgrade may be needed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried 88 and I'll post a screen of what I got when I tried that. I also tried the Run as Admin again just for whatever reason and of course it failed again. I have 2 newer versions of MSXML installed. Unless you know of any other reason I'm thinking these are it.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's a registry location. It's suggesting you don't have access.

For me I found it at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\7A17F1B46C057B443ADA6B3C75B48B69\6E8A266FCD4F2A1409E1C8110F44DBCE

I also notice the error shows UNKNOWN where for me it is folder S-1-5-18. Not sure what that means exactly, might be a clue.

Are you logged on as an Administrator? not just running it with administrator privileges? Maybe open your registry to that location and compare it to mine? See if it is there at all or if it is different? Maybe check permissions to see if your logon has access to it?
RegEntry.jpg

Reaction score
I have the key but on the right side there's like 4 entries that look something like this; C?/MSXML4.0dll/sysWoW/... something to that effect and they run all down just off that one key. Aren't they supposed to be in the System 32 folder too?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have W7 Service Pack 1 installed?
Do you have all the .NET items installed from Windows Updates?

When I run the KB973688, I get a window to modify, repair, or uninstall which means I have it installed already and I never tried the KB manually before so this should be there if you are up-to-date. In sys32 I only have the msxml3, 6, 3r, & 6r. SysWOW is for 64-bit and in there I have 3, 6, 3a, 3r, 4, 4r, 6r.dll.mui, and 3r.dll.mui,

I believe when it tries to edit your registry it is getting an error, because of permissions? or maybe your registry is messed up in some way? But when it can't update the registry the install would likely rollback the files to a pre-install state because it can't complete successfully.

I would definitely make sure your windows updates are all installed SP1, .NET stuff, etc. Then if it is still an issue, if you have another administrative account maybe try logging in to that (or create a new account if you don't) and see if you can run it from that account. If it runs there then likely it is because your regular account is not an admin account or it is messed up in the registry.

...I think! :/

I don't have any other ideas but maybe someone else might come along with one.

Reaction score
Ok my Good Man and trusty co-conspirator,LOL:D! You notice I'm like grinning. This is what I did. I use Acronis TI 2012 for my backups so I went back to the 6th before any of the tinkering and browsed all the relevant spots to make sure all the MSXML's were installed and luckily I didn't have to go any farther than the 6th of Sept. So I ran the Nero installer and when it came to the pre-requisite installs the MSXML4.0 Sp2 was gone because it's already installed, so the install from there was a couple of Nero patches and I was done. The reason for the re-install of Nero was I could not find the Nero directory in Programs & Features so there was no uninstall for that which really bothers me. I installed Revo and couldn't find it with that either, so when I went to the Start Menu I noticed that there is a Control Center for Nero so I opened that and there was the uninstaller with all the installed programs, so I don't know if this is default for Nero,(not being in Programs&Features) but at least there's a directory and uninstaller for the program and all the Security updates are installed. I use a program called Belarc Security advisor to check everything. It's free and a nice little program that runs cleanly in the background. Thanks again my friend as this can be marked as solved or at least done.

Ask a Question