MSN Messenger

Reaction score
Hi All,

I can't install the new version of msn messenger. I got a older version from www.oldversion.com and that installed ok but when i sign in it says newer version available do you want to install yes or no? If i click no it closes down if i click yes the new version won't install. It worked ok on vista and my previous windows xp tablet addition but not the new windows 7 RC

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Mick.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
What happens when you attempted to install the latest version?

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the reply, this is what happens when i try to install MSN.

When i click the download button from here http://download.live.com/ i get another page that comes on briefly before this wording comes up,

Internet explorer cannot display the webpage,

What you can try

Diagnose connection problems (a button to click on)

More information (a drop down box)

I clicked on these on got this message,

The remote device or resource won't accept the connection,

The Device or resource (g.live.com) is not set up to accept the connections on port "The World Wide Web Service (HTTP)"

I get that message when i click the button. and the message below when i click for more information.

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
  • Internet connectivity has been lost.
  • The website is temporarily unavailable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
  • The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.

To view subscribed feeds
  1. Click the Favorites Center button
    , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
  1. Click Tools
    , and then click Work Offline.
  2. Click the Favorites Center button
    , click History, and then click the page you want to view.
I can install yahoo messenger with no problems it seems to be just things associated with microsoft so far.

Thanks Mick

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the link but the same message appears as in the above post :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like you may have some DNS or host file issues then, but you should be able to download from this MS page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=c4adc3ab-ce3a-4d50-9412-9b99c75d7993

edit: I've just seen your post about Windows Update not working. If you can't access any anti-spyware or Microsoft websites then you could have an infection of some sort. It might be worth doing a virus scan (or a clean install if you can backup stuff easily).

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I get the same error page from that link too.

I'm going to back up the partition part of my hard drive and format it then try a full fresh install.

Thanks Mick.

Ask a Question