MSE slowing system when updating.

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed any changes with Microsoft Security Essentials recently?
I've had it installed for quite a few months on my XP machine and it's worked very well.

Lately though it seems whenever it does an update it's completing hogging all the system resources to the point where I cannot do anything at all till it's finished.

It never used to be like that.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
When I saw the "MSI" I thought your MSI motherboard had gone "wonky" on ya as y'all say down in OZ. Then I remembered you have a Gigabyte mobo... oh well.

Now I see you meant MSE... I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has brain cramps!

Reaction score
hehe, time for new glasses Nibs.
But don't feel too bad about your 'senior/blond' moments. Personally of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's doing the same to me, hogging more resources than ever. I've been doing some thinking, and I'm seriously considering returning to Avast. Today, in my daily File Hippo email, it was reported that Avast upgraded, and some bugs were fixed, and some things that doesn't work on 64 bit (such as boot time scan), will now.

I'll probably install it on my evaluation version of Win 7 first, see how it does, and if all is OK, revert back to it altogether. I also run Ad-Aware, it's catching things that MSE is missing.

I do have MSE version 2.0 installed on XP, I haven't yet to notice anything. But since that version is not on the update screen for install, it still must be an RC or beta. If it were road ready, that would be the offered version.

I just don't have the time and patience for an AV to slow me down.

Cat

Ask a Question