SOLVED MS Techs checking the freezing issues!

Reaction score
I had a 1 hour on-line chat with Microsoft Technical Support about the Win 7 freezing issues.
After a lengthy & productive chat the issue was escalated to Microsoft Research Engineers.
They will be phoning me tomorrow night. I will post back here after I talk with them.

Reaction score
I hope so, we might not get an immediate solution but I see a patch being released very quickly (maybe).

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Let us know how it turns out :)

Reaction score
Possible Solutions

Hello all; I just finished another 1 hour session with MS, during which we were talking on the phone while I gave them full control of my PC with Live Meeting.

It is going to take me a while to go through my notes but the most promising solutions are:

1) If You have an upgrade version:

a) From Desktop do Custom Install
b) Run Disk Clean-Up delete OLD Windows Folder (ALL files)
c) Continue with install

2) If you have a full version:

Method 1
a) Format C:
b) Install normally, DO NOT restore any Windows files & settings you may have saved elsewhere.

Method 2
a) Start install as if you were doing for the first time
b) Select Upgrade
Note: Retains 99% of file/programs/settings

*** You WILL LOSE EVERYTHING so BACKUP before you do any of these. ***

*** I have not yet tested these methods ***
*** If you use one PLEASE post back (good or bad) ***

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ripose,

Thanks. Not sure I follow.

Are MS now advising this?

DO NOT restore any Windows files & settings you may have saved elsewhere.

Here, it appears you delete windows.old at some stage during the installation - how and when do MS advise doing that ?

c) Continue with install
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As this thread is all about, these are procedures to try if Win 7 is freezing on you, so these would be re-installs.

Yes MS is advising these IF you have the freezing issues.

Since these are re-installs, the windows OLD files would already be there, so if you are re-installing MS advises to delete that folder as a work-around for the freezing issues.

Reaction score
I see what you mean - delete the Windows.old before attempting the install again.

Thanks for passing that on.

Reaction score
Hello all; I just finished another 1 hour session with MS, during which we were talking on the phone while I gave them full control of my PC with Live Meeting.

It is going to take me a while to go through my notes but the most promising solutions are:

1) If You have an upgrade version:

c) Continue with install

2) If you have a full version:
Method 1
a) Format C:
b) Install normally, DO NOT restore any Windows files & settings you may have saved elsewhere.
Method 2
a) Start install as if you were doing for the first time
b) Select Upgrade
Note: Retains 99% of file/programs/settings

*** You WILL LOSE EVERYTHING so BACKUP before you do any of these. ***

*** I have not yet tested these methods ***
*** If you use one PLEASE post back (good or bad) ***

run disk clean up? you mean by going to my computer, then properties then general then disk clean up?

Reaction score
Disk clean-up should come up as a choice after you have started the re-install. But yes you could delete the folder manually, just look for Windows.old

Reaction score
If by any chance you live in Lethbridge, Alberta (or surrounding area), I can fix your Win 7 UPGRADE issues.

I cannot post the method here due to a confidentiality agreement with Microsoft, yes I am serious.

Reaction score
They definitely want me to help, but the last solution allows me to install a Win 7 Upgrade without activating and without a serial number. So you can understand why they don't want me posting it.

Ask a Question