SOLVED Moving open windows

Reaction score
When moving an open window my PC has recently started to move the outline only, until I release the mouse button and then the window content follows. I preferred it to move the complete window so thar, for example , I could quickly check if there is a smaller window hidden behind. Any ideas on how I revert to this please ?

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't know what you're getting at, the rectangle it produces is a system default for Windows 7.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open the Control Panel (icon view) opem system and, over on the left, advanced System settings.

Click the Advanced tab. Click "performance"
Scroll down to "Show Windows contents whilst dragging" - Apply

See if that is what you are wanting?

Reaction score
Thanks Ace. Perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am pretty sure that until recently when I wanted to move a window I put the arrow onto the title bar and dragged the complete window to where ever I wanted it, and back if necessary. I have just now checked on my wife's Toshiba laptop, also using Windows 7 Home Premium, and that is exactly what happens.
On my Sony Vaio PC the same action now results in me dragging an 'empty box' and only when I release the mouse button does the content of the window follow.
You may of course be right that that is the default mode but if so how do I change it please.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks Davehc. That did the trick. Most grateful, it was driving me potty. Just as a matter of interest that item was already ticked so I unticked it and then tried it again.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes. It is ticked by default, on a new installation. Computers (Microsoft!) are weird creatures. I cannot begin to explain how your "tick" slipped under the radar, although it was still there!!!!

Ask a Question