Moving internal HDD

Reaction score
Hi,

I finally updated to a 64 bit machine (I never did fix that damn freezing problem), and I currently have both new and old machines running together via a KVM switch, but this is not really necessary as the new computer has the capacity for 6 more HDDs.

So I would like to move the HDDs from the 32 bit machine to the 64 bit machine, and my question is as follows: What will happen to my current desktop on the 32 bit machine (there's a lot on there), and all the internet favourites, and will there be any conflict moving them from 32 to 64 bit(one of the drives has W7 32 bit installed)?

Best Wishes

Jimmy

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your 64-bit OS is the first hard drive found then it will boot with that OS and the hard drive with the 32-bit OS would just be treated as data. Your userids, bookmarks, etc will be on the harddrive containing the 32-bit OS but they won't be integrated into your 64-bit system; they will just sit on the hard drive as basic data.

If you actually want those things integrated in your new install then you should use Windows Easy Transfer to copy your userid/settings/data to the new 64-bit OS. Then just format the hard drive containing the 32-bit OS so it is a fresh data drive in your new machine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I thought about this a little more. You will probably want to drop all the partitions on your old hard drive and then reallocate it as a single partition and format it to get rid of any recovery drives or the small windows 7 system drive.

I don't have those extra partitions so it didn't come to mind right away, but most people probably have at least the tiny system partition W7 creates on install.

... this is of course after you are sure you have migrated all your data, etc.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your desktop is on C: now, under your userid, so if you move them to your libraries it won't take extra space, no.

I don't know if Windows Easy Transfer looks in Desktop so probably best to move them to My Documents; I know it looks in the Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos Libraries. You can also hit the advanced option and manually add folders outside your libraries.

As for using your hard drive with that external dock. Partitions all work the same but you just can't boot from external drives (you will be able to with Win 8).

Ask a Question