SOLVED Mouse Recommendations?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi folks :)

My current laser mouse (Logitech RX1000) is on the blink, so I'm on the market for a new corded mouse - ideally something that is handy for gaming... but doesn't need 500 buttons!

The Logitech MX518 stands out so far, but I'd be interested to see if there are any recommendations on here for other choices.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't know... I haven't used a corded mouse in years. I thought they only made them so that OEMs have some cheap thing to bundle with their PCs...

I personally prefer Logitech, but as to which model to recommend, I couldn't tell ya.

Reactions: Ian

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The best mouse is a tracball!

One feature I wish I had is the tilt of the scroll wheel some mice offer now; so the scroll controls up/down movement and the tilt controls right/left. That's pretty cool.

Personally I would prefer wireless.

If I could get a wireless trackball with the same shape and feel as my corded one and had tilt - OH Heaven.

The Dell mouse I bought for my nephew is comfortable and has the tilt but it's bluetooth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The best mouse is a tracball!
I knew one other that used a trackball, they started with the trackball back in the 80286 era. I never could get used to them. I must admit though, I would rather have a trackball than a touch pads.

As far as a gaming mouse goes, I am clueless as to what the requirements would be. :( I've always been a simple point and click type.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I personally think no one can (or should) recommend a mouse (or keyboard) for another person. At best we can recommend brands (Microsoft and Logitech certainly come to mind). The mouse and keyboard are extensions of YOUR hands and therefore must feel good in your hands which surely are a different size and shape than mine. Some folks prefer a large mouse, some a small. Some a contoured mouse, some symmetric. Some folks are left handed, some not. Some use the mouse on the opposite hand (like me, right-handed but use my mouse with my left). I recommend you visit your local computer store and touch and feel and decide for yourself.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I recommend you visit your local computer store and touch and feel and decide for yourself.
Agreed, that is the best way; just like with a woman, hands on experience is always recommended :love:

I knew one other that used a trackball, they started with the trackball back in the 80286 era. I never could get used to them.
Just like a mouse it has to be the right fit - actually even more so because besides the buttons, the ball also has to fit. The trackballs where a huge ball is in the middle and buttons on either side never would suit me but the one I use now I have had 15 to 20 years and none of the newer models I have ever held was satisfactory.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I agree with Digerati so far as a mouse being a very individual choice. Sort of like shoes.

However, I will state that ANY mouse or trackball made by Logitech will be an excellent choice. Their hardware if by far the best available in my opinion. They make many different styles and configurations to fit the requirements of most any user out there.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, that is a very good point - I'll get myself down to our local shop and give a few a try :). I've never been able to get used to trackballs and the wireless mice I've tried in the past haven't been as good as the corded one I've got at the moment.

For those of you with wireless mice, how long does the battery tend to last and do you notice any lag in gaming? It's been a while since I've used wireless mice, so perhaps it's time I gave them another go!

Reaction score
For those of you with wireless mice, how long does the battery tend to last and do you notice any lag in gaming? It's been a while since I've used wireless mice, so perhaps it's time I gave them another go!

Ive had batteries last a month to 2 months depends on brand. The game lag Ive noticed none

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Microsoft's crappy wireless mice needed a new pair pretty much monthly. My current Logitech mouse, which is my first wireless mouse using a laser, is much more conservative. The batteries have lasted me about 4 months, and that's with daily use. I don't know if the laser ones just use less power or what.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
For those of you with wireless mice, how long does the battery tend to last and do you notice any lag in gaming?
I have the Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000. As I noted above, I use my mouse on the left side, so I like that it is symmetrically shaped. I bought it last January and had to replace the batteries in August. I use the mouse several hours every day so I think that is good. Note it never turns off completely - it goes into sleep mode, but a quick wiggle wakes up the mouse, and my computer. The blue laser technology is nice too. It really will track over just about any surface.

I don't know who really makes Microsoft mice or keyboards, but their construction and quality seem top notch.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice folks, I'm going to head to the shops over the Christmas hols and give a wireless mouse a chance :).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
They also make wireless mice that use rechargeable batteries and sit in a cradle and recharge over night.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
They also make wireless mice that use rechargeable batteries and sit in a cradle and recharge over night.
I've seen those too, but I already have two monitors, speakers, a speaker controller, PDA cradle, phone, mouse, keyboard, TV remote, tape dispenser, stapler, scattered papers, and of course, my coffee cup on my desk. I don't need no mouse cradle too! ;)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I wish I had room for two monitors. I actually bought 2 the same but put one on my brother's desktop. If I ever get the space and buy another monitor I will give the new one to him and take back my Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX, I know my HD5770 is built to handle at least 2.

As for mice and trackballs, I'm afraid you left-hand users really get screwed on your selections.

Oh, and I believe my nephews Dell Bluetooth mouse battery lasts 5-6 months. It even has feedback to the notification tray to warn that the battery is low if you install their drivers.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, I started with two monitors when I upgraded from my 15" to a 17" and used both. That was years ago and I don't know how I could live with just one. Perhaps that is why I use my notebook only when necessary.

As far as using my mouse in my left hand, though right-handed, that was out of necessity. I got carpel in my right hand so I moved my mouse over to "distribute the load". I was surprised how easy it was to adapt and build up my dexterity (I think having a good, precise, mouse helps). I note I can move my mouse with my left hand and enter numbers on the numeric keyboard with my right much more efficiently than with just one hand.

As far as drivers, that would be prudent in any case as most mice drivers allow you to configure buttons, scroll wheels etc.

Ask a Question