Mouse losing focus

Reaction score
Hi,
The issue I am dealing with is not easy to put into words, but I'll try to be clear.
The problem began about 6 months ago and I tried to put up with it, but I've had enough - which means that I can't associate any specifics to what might have been the catalyst.

The only way to describe the problem is to give an example or two...
ex 1: If I try to customize the notification icons in the system tray, the second I release the mouse button and move the mouse to select, the window disappears.
ex 2: If I have a window open and select an app from the Start Menu, that app goes to the background. When I come into the general location of where it sits below the current app, it will show, but I can't select it. I have to use either Alt+Tab or Winkey+Tab to get to the window. Selecting it in the Taskbar doesn't work; it disappears there, as well.

There are all sorts of examples I could list, but hopefully these two will mean something to someone.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Does your mouse ...
MouseNeedsGlasses.jpg
A little levity to ease your frustration.

What type computer make/model/desktop-laptop? What version W7? 32/64-bit? Aero enabled? What brand of mouse (generic, touchpad, logitech,etc)? What mouse driver(windows default, logitech setpoint, etc)?

Last edited:
Reaction score
re Mouse Losing Focus

Hi,
PC: Dell XPS 410 Tower, 2G Ram, Core Duo Processor, 250G HD, 40% Free;
CPU Usage (Average): 16%-25%
Software: Windows 7 Professional, 32bit; Aero is enabled, no themes, no animation - chrome is colors only. No Third Party Explorer replacements, no desktop managers. No tweak software.
Mouse: Logitech LX 8 Cordless Laser **

**(Same mouse was used prior to problem and also works fine on other unit).

Comment: I set up an additional User profile to test, and all works well. I would prefer not to go that route permanently, if I can avoid it.

Hope this helps,
Jake

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I set up an additional User profile to test, and all works well. I would prefer not to go that route permanently, if I can avoid it.
If it works fine in one profile but not the other then it is most likely a software conflict of some kind. In other words, something else running is causing the issue.

Other possibility but a hunch would say less likely is a registry issue.

Things you might try...
Close everything else then go to Control Panel\Device Manager ... Mouse Properties - Uninstall the driver
(be prepared to shut down via keyboard commands like Alt+F4)

Compare MSCONFIG on the two different profiles and try disabling anything different from the one that works. If it fixes it then turn them on one by one until it comes back. Then the one you just turned on is the likely cause.

Ask a Question