Motorola Print Server WPS870G

Reaction score
I have a Mot wireless print server, WPS870G, that I have been using successfully with XP and Vista for years. My wife just bought a netbook with Win7 and I cannot hook up to the printers. I can see the print server and the printers attached, but when I try to connect, I get an error message that it can't connect, make sure printer is on, etc. I also cannot install the Motorola software that is supposed to help set these things up (however, the software was not required in XP to connect. . .)
Any ideas?
Thanks

Reaction score
Well, after messing around a bit more, I was able to manually work through all the setups and got this to work.

Reaction score
Hi. I'm having the same problem.
I was wondering how you got things to work.

I can only get things to work sharing the print server/printer
from another x32 printer.
(therefore, can't print if the other computer isn't around or off)

Reaction score
Here is what worked for me. I am describing the steps in XP, but think they are similar for Win7. . .
Go to the Printers and Faxes section and Add a Printer. Choose Local Printer attached to this computer. Then choose Create a New Type of Port and select Standard TCP/IP Port & click Next. Then you can enter the IP address of the printer server and choose the port on the server.

The only problem we have found with this is that the pint server must be turned on before the computer is. If it's not, the computer won't print to the print server and you have to power of the PC and restart. I am sure there must be a way to get it working without a restart, but I haven't figured it out.

Reaction score
Motorola WPS870G Print Server & Windows 7

I have a Mot wireless print server, WPS870G, that I have been using successfully with XP and Vista for years. My wife just bought a netbook with Win7 and I cannot hook up to the printers. I can see the print server and the printers attached, but when I try to connect, I get an error message that it can't connect, make sure printer is on, etc. I also cannot install the Motorola software that is supposed to help set these things up (however, the software was not required in XP to connect. . .)
Any ideas?
Thanks
Reply:
1. Go to "Control Panel"
2. Go to "Device & Printers"
3. Select "Add a printer"
4. Select "Add a local printer"
5a. Select "Use an existing port"
5b. Select "\\Mot14a724\p1(client Side Rendering Provider)
*** Please Note that p1 is the 25-pin serial port on the print server
*** Please Note that p2 is the USB port on the print server
6. Click "Next"
7, Click on the "WINDOWS UPDATE" button to update the printer list
8. Wait for the printer list to update
9a Select your printer's "Manufacturer" in the left column
9b Select your printer's "Model" in the right column
10. Click "Next"
11. Select "Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)
12. Enter the name you want to give your printer into the box provided
13. Select "Do not share this printer"
14. Select if this is the "default" printer
15. Select "Print a test page" ... Check whether the test page printed.
16. Click "Finish"

Repeat ALL steps for the second printer (port p2) replacing step 5b with the following:
5b. Select "\\Mot14a724\p2(client Side Rendering Provider)

Hope this helps!

Ask a Question