Missing Boot Manager

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help? I have just got a new hard drive which is completely blank. I wish to install windows 7 onto it but when I switch on my laptop I receive message missing boot manager, how can run my software onto this drive?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help? I have just got a new hard drive which is completely blank. I wish to install windows 7 onto it but when I switch on my laptop I receive message missing boot manager, how can run my software onto this drive?

Have you set your DVD drive as first boot device in the BIOS? That would be the cause.

Reaction score
Nope tried changes in bios but keep getting bootmgr is missing and press ctrl+alt+delete to restart?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Firecat is correct. If you bought a Windows 7 disc it is "Bootable". You have to put the Win7 DVD in the DVD drive. If it starts up and does not go to the W7 boot disk then hit the F10 key / Delete key, whatever gets you into your BIOS and you must set the boot order so that the DVD is listed before the harddrive. Save and exit the BIOS. Until you have the BIOS set properly and the W7 bootable DVD in the drive it won't work. Once it is set properly W7 will install from the DVD.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As TrainableMan stated and FC too; you have to set your DVD drive to the the PRIMARY boot drive.

Sometimes notebook computers will use a different key to get to the "System Setup" as it is sometimes referred to on the notebook boot screen.

You will not be able to install Windows 7 until you get this corrected.

Have you consulted you notebook's User Guide?

Ask a Question