Missing a folder in W7

Reaction score
Just joking!
I am transferring software to my new pc using W7. The old system was XP and I have a folder I need to transfert which was located on XP at c:/ Document setting/all users/Start menu/Program/Imagenomic

but cannot figure where it has to go on W7.

What is the equivalent folder? Thank you in advance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You may know this but I will say it so as to be clear ... generally what in the Start Menu are not "files" in the sense there would be user data, that location would be used for Links (pointers to programs/help files/etc). Basically, it sounds like you have a menu folder called Imagenomic with links under it and you need that in W7 too.

Now the proper folder location hasn't really moved, it is still at c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ where you would add Imagenomic, but in W7 this folder is considered a system file and is protected. In Windows Explorer you can adjust the settings to show system folders but you still won't have permissions to write there. What you should do is log on as an Administrator and install the Imagenomic program in W7 using their install routine and hopefully it asks for "current user or all users" and if you pick all users it should create the menu folder for you.

If this doesn't work for you or it doesn't offer the "All User" option on install then you would need to log on as an Administrator and grant permissions to yourself to write to the folder. The easiest way to grant permissions is with the Take Ownership script which can be installed and adds a "Take Ownership" option to the Windows Explorer right-click context menu.

Note that this added security is there to protect the system and to keep the settings and data of one user separate and protected from other users on the same computer. Though taking ownership is often useful I think you should understand why it is set up the way it is and understand you are opening your system up for problems should you delete something you shouldn't or you may be compromising another users privacy if you Take Ownership of their files.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In addition to the valuable info above. When you say transferring, do you mean you are merely copying whold folders with programs accross to Windows 7? That will not work. The programs will, almost without exception, not run.
But, disregardiong this, if it is your intention to do so, for whatever reason, the apposite location in Windows 7, for the folder "Imagenomic", would be C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dave the location you listed and the location I listed appear to be the exact same info. One is likely just a library pointer to the other. For that matter you can also get there by C:\Users\All Users\Start Menu\Programs which also matches the other two. I simply gave her the one which matches what she is familiar with in XP.

Reaction score
You may know this but I will say it so as to be clear ... generally what in the Start Menu are not "files" in the sense there would be user data, that location would be used for Links (pointers to programs/help files/etc). Basically, it sounds like you have a menu folder called Imagenomic with links under it and you need that in W7 too. .
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.
Exactly, the folder i need to move contains shortcuts.

Now the proper folder location hasn't really moved, it is still at c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ where you would add Imagenomic, but in W7 this folder is considered a system file and is protected. In Windows Explorer you can adjust the settings to show system folders but you still won't have permissions to write there. What you should do is log on as an Administrator and install the Imagenomic program in W7 using their install routine and hopefully it asks for "current user or all users" and if you pick all users it should create the menu folder for you. .
I believe I have permission as administrator to write but have to figure how to show hidden files...

If this doesn't work for you or it doesn't offer the "All User" option on install then you would need to log on as an Administrator and grant permissions to yourself to write to the folder. The easiest way to grant permissions is with the Take Ownership script which can be installed and adds a "Take Ownership" option to the Windows Explorer right-click context menu. .
This option is scarry but thanks for pointing to it.

Note that this added security is there to protect the system and to keep the settings and data of one user separate and protected from other users on the same computer. Though taking ownership is often useful I think you should understand why it is set up the way it is and understand you are opening your system up for problems should you delete something you shouldn't or you may be compromising another users privacy if you Take Ownership of their files.
I am very careful with my moves :=)

Reaction score
In addition to the valuable info above. When you say transferring, do you mean you are merely copying whold folders with programs accross to Windows 7? That will not work. The programs will, almost without exception, not run.
But, disregardiong this, if it is your intention to do so, for whatever reason, the apposite location in Windows 7, for the folder "Imagenomic", would be C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Thank you davehc, you're are correct, and it worked that way for other programs....this one actually works on w7 except it does not have the files I still need to migrate to solve the license issue.
As they are shortcuts, I installed them under the Links folder....did make sens to me but it did not work.

Still looking for this C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs on w7 :=)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer ...
Show OS files.jpg
Show the hidden files & folders
and Do NOT Hide protected OS files (even though it's recommended)

Then you should be able to see the files but by default even as an administrator you will likely need to Take Ownership.

Reaction score
Fantastic help! Thank you very much TrainableMan. Have been able to find the path :=)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I should quickly point out that if you take ownership of Documents and settings, and begin to use that folder, it will lead to a number of problems and repetitive duplication of files randomly on your computer. Worst case would be the need for a reinstall.
Documents and settings is known as a junction folder and is hidden and restricted with intent. It is only there to accomodate the compatible installtion of older programs. There are several such folders in Windows 7.

Reaction score
I agree with you but how frustrating it is to buy programs online and then not being able to reinstall them each time you have a new machine. It might be the interest on the software creator but so rude for the user!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
:lol: yeah, what Dave said!

Less is more as they say, Take Ownership at the lowest level folder you can access.

Personally I use the C:\Users rather than C:\Documents and Settings, because it is shorter and also because Documents and Settings has a little lock icon on it and Users doesn't.

Often times the problem with just dropping the program in the program files folder and the links into the start menu is that registry settings, and start-up entries, and system DLLs, etc that are created with the install routine get lost in the attempt to do it manually and then it won't work anyway.

Last edited:

Ask a Question