SOLVED Microsoft updates problem

Reaction score
Hello. I have a laptop with 7 Home Premium, and a PC with 7 Professional. Both lately have the same problem. I have them set to download MS updates automatically, but ask me before updating. Recently, at shut down they have been installing updates, then at next start up attempting to configure the updates, failing to do so before eventually reverting, and starting up. It's been the same for every shut down and start up for the last three to four days. Any ideas?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
First disable you antivirus and try again. If it still isnt working correctly, seelct the updates one by one and see if it will then install.

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that. Of course both those steps need to be carried out before shut down, as I don't have access to them at start up. I'll need to see how to do that. My anti virus is Avast! free; I have trouble finding the disable setting on it, but I'm sure I will. Also, currently my updates install at shutdown, so I can't identify them. I'll need to change that setting as well.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
For Avast, Right-Click the Tray Icon and hover over Avast Shield Control and a Menu should pop out where you can shut down for a length of time or until computer restart

Reaction score
Many thanks for the help...my problem is solved.

Ask a Question