Mediaroom Not Loungeroom

Reaction score
Well the media center idea is with us so why not use it more. throw away the lounge, sound system and the TV and put a wide screen TV (or monitor) and powerfull computer and watch TV and ply music in the home using WMC or WMP. Play games and browse the internet on an all in one computer. We are moving to that way and fast by 2012 I woulden't be supprise to see 85% of people with their media center's.

So the Loungeroom will be a Mediaroom instead.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Can you do this with a regular 18.5 inch widescreen PC? If so, what all do you need? I've seen USB TV tuners before, do you have to subscribe to anything to get the signal?

Reaction score
Yes to the TV and No to subscribing you just plug into your normal airial and use standard cables as with normal TV set up.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Isn't there something made that will plug into your computer and you grab channels off of the internet?

Reaction score
Yes a TV Tuner, you can get them in analogue and digital and can plug into a PCI/PCI-E slot or external ones that plug into USB 2.0 ports.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
How much do the USB ones cost? And do you get all of the channels, including the "premium" ones?

Reaction score
Can't you look it up? USB ones are anywhere from $45 to $190. Analouge ones are about $67 and Digital ones are $150. They get most channels but it depends on where you live.

Reaction score
Can't you look it up? USB ones are anywhere from $45 to $190. Analouge ones are about $67 and Digital ones are $150. They get most channels but it depends on where you live.
I know our area no longer carry the analog signals. So if you decide to buy one make sure your area has the signals you are purchasing for.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I know our area no longer carry the analog signals. So if you decide to buy one make sure your area has the signals you are purchasing for.
That's correct! The US no longer transmits TV signals in analog format. About 10 months ago the entire 50 states went totally digital as per FCC edicts.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know if any area in the US carries analog signals anymore, they don't around here either. That's what those vouchers issued by the federal government were for, to purchase digital converters.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think its all digital in England now .... I think, can someone confirm this please as i don't watch TV hardly at all and the wife uses SKY.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think its all digital in England now .... I think, can someone confirm this please as i don't watch TV hardly at all and the wife uses SKY.
It's in the transition phase at the moment, but some areas (like mine) are digital only now. By 2012 all areas will have analogue turned off. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I,m on the continent. I think most parts of the western continent have been totally digital for some time, and, recently, HD - even more prohibitive.

By the way. Iam experimenting at the moment with Freesat. getting a fair signal but needs a little work. I googled and didn't get a decent answer to my question but, is Freeview a similar service or a rival?

Later. OK. Forget it. I have the answer. Freeview you guys are getting on the normal terrestrial arial- right? Freesat is satellite, which is the only one I am going to get here!

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Freeview you guys are getting on the normal terrestrial arial- right? Freesat is satellite, which is the only one I am going to get here!
Yep, that's right. We've got Freeview (digital via aerial) and FreeSat (digital via Satellite). Some people can also get digital via Cable. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It's in the transition phase at the moment, but some areas (like mine) are digital only now. By 2012 all areas will have analogue turned off. :)
Thanks Ian ... my wife is the TV follower but she does let me watch the news :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks Ian ... my wife is the TV follower but she does let me watch the news :)
Oh good. There are two of us in this world. I felt really minimised!

I even have to be careful what I am watching when she is not in the room. She is quite likely, at an exciting part, to come in and change the channel.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
LoL your not alone Dave I sometimes get the TV switched off with the announcement I'm going to bed now ... :lol:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't need to worry about TV hogging, my wife doesn't care for TV, period. That USB card that Veedaz showed looks good, I'll have to look it up.