Measuring Core Temps?

Reaction score
I've seen people talking about their core temps, how are they measuring that?
Is it just some kind of software?

Also, does anyone make a front panel 5.25 inch drive bay insert with a digital readout for
core temps, etc?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I use software for that. They all differ a little. I've settled on Coretemp for quick monitoring of my folding and crunching machine. you can have it display in the taskbar. Here's the laptop.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Attachments

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Also, does anyone make a front panel 5.25 inch drive bay insert with a digital readout for
core temps, etc?
Yes but they are more for advanced users/enthusiasts because they involve installing sensor diodes between the CPU heatsink and CPU die (for most accurate reading) and in other critical locations, then running sensor wires up to the display device. The risks from ESD damage and improper re-mounting of the heatsink fan assembly are too great, IMO, for the returned benefits.

They are generally not necessary (except to view from across a room) because most motherboards already provide a means of hardware monitoring, which can then be used by programs like CoreTemp (my favorite too) to monitor temps and display that in your notification tray.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I downloaded the Core Temp to check it out, works good.
Hi Clifford, haven't seen you for a while.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I just use a thermometer.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I just use a thermometer.
If looking for another excuse, checking component surface temperatures is certainly good justification to add a decent laser guided infrared thermometer to your assortment of test equipment. Of course, massive blocks of aluminum and copper sitting on top of CPUs tend to get in the way there but IR thermometers are great for measuring RAM, chipsets, freezers, grills, dashboards, fry pans, AC outlets, and foreheads (avoiding eyes, of course).

Ask a Question