SOLVED Lost all video.

Reaction score
I'm not really expecting we can do much but maybe someone will have a suggestion.
Got all the new gear up and running last night and XP&7 were happy.
Shutdown and went to bed.

Booting up this morning hit the start button and walked away to make a cuppa. Heard the loading beep, heard the Win7 start sound, came back screen solid white.

Tried Control>alt>delete. screen flashed between all black and all white then goes white again. Shut down on the power button and re-started, screen goes white immediatley, cannot get into Bios.

Reaction score
Well who would have thought, I mean yesterday I install brand new Mobo, CPU, Memory, etc, etc, etc So if somethings not right next time you boot up it's going to be one of those right?. It's where you'd look first, the things you changed.
On an impulse I hooked up another monitor and it all works, what are the odds of the monitor dying the day after I fit all new stuff????

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
About similar to the odds of being struck by a meteor!

Reaction score
The only thing I wonder if somehow the new video has overtaxed the monitor. Cant see it personally as all resolutions/refresh rates etc were to monitors specs. Apart from a slight loss of brightness over the years there was no indications the monitor was dying.
No colour bleaching, no dead pixels, no wavy lines, never blurry.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It shouldn't have hurt the monitor, they're pretty resilient really.

Was it a CRT? How old was it? See, now this gives you a better excuse to get that new widescreen LCD LED backlight monitor! It is Kharma I tell you... the computer gods are helping you out! LOL!

Reaction score
No it was LCD, I'm used to them showing signs of failure with dead pixels, loss on contrast and the like, this one has been rock solid, but old, well over8yrs old.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You definitely got your money's worth on the monitor.

Sounds like the panel went kaput but the CCFL bulbs still worked.

Reaction score
Well I ended up with a Samsung. They gave a return /credit on my problematic Tv tuner card and I put it towards the new monitor. It's a 24inch.
HOWEVER (sheesh I feel like I'm telling a story from the Perils of Pauline), trying to boot up with the new monitor did not work (it has DVi input as well as analog) Win 7 failed completey to load properly, XP managed then crashed. Went back to the old spare monitor that got me going. Both OS's would load then fail with different errors each time.. So much going on here not even sure where to start. I'm getting a mate in who makes a living as a PC fixit guy. Too much happening for me to sift through.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
When you install a new monitor, turn the entire system off. Hook up the cable and such, then turn on the monitor first and the boot the computer.

Which cable did you use? Did you know that most Samsung LCD monitors have a button where you select whether or not to choose the D-Sub or DVI connections?

I would use the DVI cable, make sure it's snugly connected, power the monitor up first then the computer. Have the Samsung driver ready to update to the new monitor.

Reaction score
Eventually got it sorted. I stopped trying to follow the instructions and just 'winged it'..:D
Huge amount of real estate now.

Ask a Question