losing connection every 5 minutes

Reaction score
Hi I've been having these problems for the best part of last month and today after reinstall of W7 enterprise the problem continues.Every 5 min. or so my connection fails and if I'm downloading my browsing is very slow or it wont even open a page.I've set my network on home setting not public or work, I have only one computer, my modem works fine, my cables too but my download is slow and sometimes wont even start.This happened couple a months ago lasted for two months and than the problem disappear by it self.Is it possible that is some sort of virus that its not eradicated with format?My antivir. prog. finds nothing but than again it never did.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have a wireless router or other device between your computer and the modem? If so first try removing that. If you are wireless then wire directly instead.

If the issue persists even after you have a direct wired connection then you should contact your ISP and report the issue and have them trace your line.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
fwiw.You won't get a great deal of benefit from a homegroup, if you are a single computer user and, as they are using two services, they are also using some small resources. I don't think that is neccessarily the problem, but if you want to discard them, then:

Open the network and sharing centre and "choose homegroup and sharing options" Choose to leave the homegroup.
After that, Type services.msc in RUN (or Start menu Search box), and press Enter. It'll open "Services" window.
Scroll for these two services:
HomeGroup Listener
HomeGroup Provider
Double-click on each and change the "Startup type" to Disabled. Apply the changes and exit from Services window.

You may also find selecting "Work" as your network default, may help the situation.

If that does not help, and you are certain you have no adapter hardware problem, then, as trainable man says, talk to your ISP.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
akva, welcome to the forum!

Do you have a wireless modem? If so, it would help to install the software that came with the modem (usually is on a CD) to your computer. It's best to do this when wired, if possible. Also, it may help to reinstall your wireless adapter's drivers as well.

Several months back, I was fighting similar issues myself with my ISP. I was using the wireless routers that they supplied, and had nothing but trouble. Finally, I got tired of messing with their junk, requested a wired router, my speed has been what I pay for since. A couple of months later, I bought my own wireless router, installed it myself, and have had no problems at all.

If your connection is wired, then there's either an issue with your modem, the wire going from your modem to your computer, the input itself, or your driver needs to be reinstalled. Wired connections needs drivers, too.

A format and reinstall usually requires driver updates on your computer's end for everything to work properly.

If possible, it may help us to better serve you, please post back with your connection details (wired or wireless & adapters, if any). This can help to narrow down the problem.

Finally, have you contacted your ISP about this? I had to ride mine for months to get it resolved. If you're paying for a service, you have every right to demand to get what you pay for.

Cat

Reaction score
its not wireles its a modem d-link dsl-360r its pluged directly to my line and I cant find drivers for it:dontknow: .If I contact my ISP well let me just say I cant go through that again You see, I live in third world country:rolleyes: and things dont function like in normal places would so ...Last time, when this ocurred, I would call them and the day that field workers should visit every thing would be OK, day after that every thing would be as usual.That lasted for two months.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What about your internal driver? Have you updated/installed that one? Usually, during a reinstall, it needs to be installed as well. Normally, a wired install should be a fairly easy process.

It sounds as if you may need a new router, if your driver is up to date. It took at least 3 trips from my ISP to fix the problem. Usually the ISP's can remotely test the signal from their end, to see what's going on.

Do you have any options in your area as to ISP providers? If so, you may want to consider a switch, if you're not getting what you're paying for.

Cat

Reaction score
Sorry, what internal drivers?I usually install my copy of W7 after that I install my graphic card and antivirus make a new connection and resume with other programs installing.I never use my original motherboard (on a cd) drivers should I do that cause it says its not necessary.

Reaction score
Hi akva

I think cat was asking if you have installed the latest drivers for your network adapter.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I was talking about. Wired network connections has drivers, too. I just got through with reinstalling my desktop today (still working on it). That component needs drivers to work properly, too. Both the wired & wireless adapters, if both exists.

It was just something that I thought you should check. Windows Update offers some drivers, but not necessarily the latest or best. Sometimes, it rolls you backwards, giving you a hardware update that's older than you already have.

However, if it's not that, and assuming that your computer is in good working order, it's probably in the router or lines. I've personally been on the short end of the stick with my ISP, several months ago. It took me months to get what I'm paying for, and it took me riding their back for that to happen.

Cat

Reaction score
you should scan ur system with a good antivirus program and after if the problem continues u should check ur modem with ur neighbour phone line doing this u will come to know that ur modem is faulty or not.and third option is to contact ur lineman and tell him to check the parameteres of ur connection......:)

Reaction score
To answer some questions.Yes I did sys. scan.I have Bit Defender 2011, shows nothing.Let me tell you about my computer:I have Intel Asrock G41M-S.Drivers provided from my W7 Enterprise until now I've used these new LAN drivers http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=103915&t=0&i=1 last 30 min are promising I hope I wont jinks it (as soon as I wrote this, line went off:eek:) but download is good.I think its worth mentioning this: I've changed my download client from Bittorrent to Utorrent also, so will see.I have D-link dsl 360R modem connected to my phone line directly, Its fairly new and I never used any drivers for it and the closest drivers I found are these: http://www.driverstock.com/D-Link-DSL-300-driver-download/24-28-11245/index.html so should I use them?Please be patient with me I'm not that skilled after all this is a new OS so...

Reaction score
Nope, still having same problems.Everything worked nice for hour or two and than...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are infected with a virus or have corrupt system files this loosing connection may be all part of that whole issue. My highest suspicion is that your system is infected with malware. Please see my post in your other thread regarding running RKILL & Malwarebytes.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I also suspect that you have some type of infection, based upon your 2 threads you have going. TM has explained what to do, the only thing that I can add, is to consider switching AV's, once you have this sorted out (your system is clean). See Nibs thread on F-Secure.

https://www.w7forums.com/f-secure-internet-security-2011-free-6-months-t11208.html

It may take a total reinstall, depending upon the infection & how bad it is. Also, you've mentioned using a torrent client to download with. In order for the client to properly work, an exception is made within the Windows Firewall (or whichever you're running) to allow the torrent to run.

Note that when you create exceptions in the firewall settings, you're opening a hole in your security posture, although seemingly harmless on the surface, can pose great risks. Not knowing what type of material you're downloading, or the host sites, it's hard for me to say just how much of a risk is being taken.

When a torrent client is being used, you're not only receiving the download (leeching), but you're transmitting it also (seeding). The entire process depends upon the seeders to keep the connection going (the more the faster), usually a good rule of thumb is to seed twice as much as you leech.

Unfortunately, this type of setting poses risks. Although many torrent users are legal, downloading legal software (like Linux install discs), others are seeding from sites like Pirate Bay (and others) who are hosting illegal software, including Windows install discs, some of which are hacked to be pre-activated. And some contains viruses & malware that poses an additional threat to the one who installs this type of software. Also, many of the "hosts" are transmitting viruses all over the net.

This is just not an ideal way to download your everyday apps. Changing from BitTorrent to uTorrent won't make any difference. A download manager, many of which are free, is a better choice. There is IE7 Pro for IE & Down Them All for Firefox.

These are some things that you may wish to consider, once you're good to go again. As you already see, it's a PITA trying to get this crap straightened out.

Cat

Ask a Question